"TropeName: Type X" Cleanup:
edited 14th Nov '12 6:25:33 PM by AlexSora89
edited 8th Dec '12 5:08:31 AM by Psyga315
edited 13th Jan '13 6:28:11 PM by troacctid
edited 14th Jan '13 10:52:52 PM by nemui10pm
edited 15th Jan '13 12:50:13 AM by SeptimusHeap
- The tragic All Love Is Unrequited gay man—straight man—straight (or bi) woman (or gender-flipped version) variant of Type 2, where no one has a viable love interest. I'm told this is a common variation in gay cinema. This either goes to Type 8 if they come to a friendly understanding, stays as 2 for the tragedy, or results in a Type 4 because the straight pair has to get together in the end. (Generous writers will Pair the Spares or pull another gay guy/gal out of their ass to get a happier ending.)
- The very Shakespearean "Alice has a wanted (but not always requited) love interest as herself (or himself) and an unwanted (usually sexuality-incompatible) one while crossdressing", which includes variations of 2, 4, 5, 6, 11, 12, and 13note depending on the point in the arc, and has an Unsettling Gender Reveal for the unwanted love interest. You know, Twelfth Night (and thus She's The Man) plus a boat-load of crossdressing anime aimed at the Shoujo Demographic. May or may not involve Sweet on Polly Oliver on the part of the desired love interest.
- The "Alice can't act on her mutual attraction with Bob because her good friend Claire also likes Bob"note romance/friendship variants on 11 and 12 (or 8 and 11 if Claire is equally devoted to Alice, with corresponding changes to the types below).
- If Alice succeeds, she suffers nobly in a Type 6 (or 11, if the writer really wants to twist the knife). Alternatively, in the "Claire is devoted to Alice" variant, Claire figures out how Alice feels and decides to get out of the way without getting over Bob. This is the bittersweet ending.
- If Alice fails, Claire finds out, and Claire isn't willing to let go, things turn tragic. The Arthurian love triangle is a good example of this. This is the bad ending.
- Finally, if Claire turns out to be a total bitch/bastard, Alice gets over her devotion and lives happily ever after with Bob in a Type 4. Alternatively, if Claire is devoted to Alice after all, Claire realizes she's getting in the way of Alice/Bob and quickly gets over her feelings for Bob into Type 7. Either way, this is the happy ending.
As for Spin-Off, I think that would make a good index, with each type being its own trope.
edited 15th Jan '13 10:49:25 PM by Ironeye