If a truly sustainable society was created...would you be happy there?:
- I always wanted to work on great projects and make contributions to technology that affect the lives of millions. In this society you can only affect a few dozen.
- I was always weary of small communities because of first hand accounts of people who lived in small villages: while people do have great concern for others, that often translates into persistent gossip and butting in other people's business. If a rumor goes out for example that someone is having an affair, even if the only evidence for that is a woman holding hands with a man, it spreads like wildfire and irreparable damage is made to the woman's life before it's all cleared. And god help you if you've done something REALLY frowned upon like being gay.
- There is talk of heavy reliance on growing your own food. Isn't this an incredibly labor intensive process? Don't you have to spend 15 hour days in the fields to do this?
- All this will be done without long distance transport and possibly even worse the Internet. If the Internet is indeed going to have to end, doesn't that mean that a great deal of knowledge will be lost? Will information once again have gatekeepers and if you wish to know about a certain topic you will just have to be lucky enough to have someone to teach you?
- Could you REALLY stand to be talking to the same group of people for the rest of your life? I have a small social circle and I have to recharge quite often simply because I'm sick of getting the same opinions and reactions over and over.
- And worst of all, this entire lifestyle reeks of something I NEVER understood: living just to SURVIVE. I never understood why people would want to retire to the country and spend the rest of their lives being self sufficient. I never understood people who want to live outside of society living by their wits. I REALLY don't understand people who WANT there to be a zombie apocalypse. I want my life to MEAN something, even if it's a meaning I MYSELF give it. If consuming a bunch of resources until you die is what life is all about, then I might as well cut out the middle man and kill myself right away so people who apparently enjoy living for its own sake (which I sure don't) can do so. It's certainly the logical thing to do.
edited 25th Dec '11 4:17:53 PM by stripesthezebra
edited 25th Dec '11 4:37:44 PM by stripesthezebra
edited 25th Dec '11 4:32:27 PM by INUH
edited 25th Dec '11 4:36:18 PM by InverurieJones
edited 25th Dec '11 4:48:21 PM by stripesthezebra
edited 25th Dec '11 4:58:37 PM by InverurieJones
edited 25th Dec '11 5:02:51 PM by stripesthezebra
edited 25th Dec '11 5:12:31 PM by InverurieJones
edited 25th Dec '11 5:23:38 PM by InverurieJones
edited 25th Dec '11 5:54:10 PM by Nohbody