Time for me to start developing a public Magic System, so that there are not any hilarious misunderstandings later along the line, and so I can get some input and commentary.
Mana and Spell Cores
There are two forms of Mana in my novels.
Internal Mana, or Soul Mana as it is called in series several times, and External Mana, or Natural Mana as it is called in series many times.
Typically, a Mage can only make use of internal Mana, as External Mana is difficult to control. You might expect from forces shaped by the environment. If there is an Earthquake, and someone is using External Earth Element Mana, then there could be a dangerous power spike which could kill the Magic User and destroy a lot of stuff around him.
Thus, most Mages are stuck with using their Internal Mana, which can be boosted by the use of a Spell Core. In ages past, Mages had more capability in terms of Internal Mana and so, a Spell Core used to not be quite as necessary.
These Spell Cores are, fundamentally, weapons, as they were used in then old days. Rather than Internal Mana boosters, much more powerful Cores were in use for the purpose of furthering agendas, most of which were not benign in the slightest.
By today, most of these Vesper Cores are either destroyed or vastly diminished from overuse. It is a heavily
punished crime to try to create a Vesper Core.
Well, at any rate, as I can tell, you are confused. But Matthew can use External Mana, and he suffers no ill effects! His Holy Artifact is the Lance of Longinus, the great spear of destiny. Due to its effects, his biological limiters are removed and thus, his mind and soul can subordinate the natural mana around him.
There are other Holy Artifacts with this effect, namely:
Yasakani No Magatama, which resides with the Blue Cross Knight Terumi Shinnei, a knight of integrity and chivalry who fights Oni which are currently causing some...problems...in Japan. This Holy Artifact blesses the user and causes extreme damage to all unnatural creatures. It can also conjure an aura, which can protect the user from attacks.
The Book of the Dead, which resides with the Head of the Egyptian Meister Society, Saya Runebelt - Strider. This is essentially why she is the most feared Mage in the world. This Artifact allows communication with the dead (more useful than it sounds), cuts her Mana use for any spell to almost nil (exactly as broken as it sounds), and makes the user immune to curses.
And The Voynich Manuscript, the Occult Papers in the possession of the Exiled Meister of Gestrada Mage School, Zera Leifest. In combination with his formidable Death Magic, which does exactly what you expect
, it would essentially allow Zera to become the perfect Evil Overlord
, were it not for the fact Zera exiled himself, cutting out his own right eye, which had the power to kill everything it looked at. This "Holy" Artifact allows for the summoning of any Eldritch Abomination
you please and forces it to be perfectly obedient. Also, life force of everyone around it, except Zera, is slowly sapped away.
Our Vampires Are Different
Now, here is where it gets tricky.
It is crucial
that you differentiate between people who obtain Vampiric qualities via Spell Core, such as what Zera accidentally did, and the actual Vampires.
Why are these so dangerous?
Well, to start, while Vampires absolutely cannot touch External Mana, as The Earth itself would be tainted by their Virus, to recompense for this, all Vampires have HUMONGOUS
stores of internal mana. As they get older, it gets more and more humongous.
However, to keep all this, they need to drink the blood of humans, and add to it, if they don't, they start losing internal mana.
Now, Matthew again. Can anyone tell me what would happen if this person with a Holy Artifact which allows him to use External Mana was bitten by Vandes? It would result in a Vampire able to use External Mana and NOT infect the world due to the relationship between Holy Artifacts and The Earth. Vandes would get his hands on the single most powerful being in existence.
Most vampires are the descendants of two Patriarchs. The First Estate, made by Cain, consists of the oldest vampires.
The Second Estate, accidentally started by Judas, is the mainly heard-from house nowadays, as the First took a lot of damage in wars with the Meisters and their Esper allies. However, the First's 50 Lords still reign supreme, though some of their number have changed out.
I could draw some comparisons to a Two House Parliament.
Who are these 50? They call themselves the Fifty Greater Kings, and boy does Authority EVER Equal Asskicking.
They have, as a rule, much greater powers than the lesser kings of the second house, and each can come in freely and veto any plan made by a particularly ambitious secondary house King, but this has not been done very much.
Our Werewolves Are Different
- Vampiric Powers:
- Mind Controlling Eyes: A Vampire can control a regular person with its eyes. Vandes finds this ability distasteful.
- Super Strength, Super Speed, Super Toughness: All vampires have this, in varying levels based on their Age and Power Level. When one becomes a vampire, you can think of Strength to defeat enemies, Defense to outlast and recover from attacks, or Speed to quickly strike. This causes increases and decreases in the formula.
- Super Smoke: Vampires can turn into smoke to evade conventional weapons and even dodge a fatal staking. This ability needs concentration. Vandes is known for being hilariously bad at it.
- Familiars: A Vampire can summon Familiars during battle, or outside battle if they wish to send a message to someone. These can be anything from bats to wolves, ravens, and big cats.
- Healing Factor: The strongest of them can heal from close to anything, except for damage to the heart. Impaired by the presence of Incense or Garlic.
- Vampiric Weaknesses
- Stake or cross like weapons: If a weapon is in the shape of a cross or stake, or if a spell summons one, a vampire can be killed. They cannot super smoke a Spell Created Stake Type Weapon. Especially if its Lightning Persecution, which could kill anyone normally, but to vampires, its especially deadly.
- Garlic: A severe allergy to vampires, as in, its often used as a poison for assassinations.
- Sun Light: Drastically diminishes their abilities, A weapon which uses this can do horrible damage to a vampire. Some, though, are Daywalker Types which can stand sunlight.
- The Infamous Entrance Inquiry: A vampire has to ask before it can enter your house or estate. And no, he cannot just nuke you with his big magic.
- Holy Icons: if something is holy, and used as a weapon or some such, then it can cause heavy damage.
- Incense: burns and irritates their skin, causes some ugly stuff until they leave the area.
There are not very many werewolves out there, but the ones that are, are quite deadly. They are mostly assassins and hired killers, preferring to work for themselves.
They do not war with the vampires. That would be pointless, according to their current Pack Leader.
They have a public identity as "Astark Private Defense Corporation."
Our Souls Are Different
- Complete Immunity to all forms of death except for Silver Based Death: They can just heal from damn near anything that isn't silver in some way.
- Six Forms: A human form, a humanoid form, 1/2 human 1/2 wolf, more wolf than human, a wraith-like huge wolf, and then a four tailed wolf beast which is amazingly powerful. (the eldest werewolf in his four tailed form can go toe to toe with Cain.)
- Super Strength, Super Speed: very strong and very fast. These guys can even be stronger than the above vampires. They can also kill them via an old technique.
- Super Smoke: Of a different type than the above. This is purely teleportation, and no action can be taken immediately before teleporting and immediately afterwards. While in this state, they are even more vulnerable to silver.
- Force Palm: A sufficiently trained wolf can hit the air and "strike through the aether", hitting the enemy even from a long while away. Combined with the above, this is very deadly and only taught to the worthy.
- Frigid Night: Some wolves can be An Ice Person, letting them unleash frigid blasts of ice.
- Werewolf Weaknesses:
- Wolfsbane: When rubbed on a weapon, it can cause more damage and be more difficult to heal off.
- Silver: A silver weapon can kill a werewolf very easily. As a result, many of them fear Matthew very much indeed.
- Holy Weapons: these have a similar effect to silver.
Souls in New Dawn and other stories are very powerful things. One could theoretically divide a soul and place its pieces into a weapon or item. This is how a Black Blade is made. With these soul pieces inside, the Black Blade becomes unbelievably powerful. Due to the immorality required to make one, though, very few of these exist.
A Soul can be badly strained if too much Mana is burned in a single series of moments, as we shall see.
The Various Cool Swords.
There are a few ways for a weapon to get enough power to cause serious harm to one of the higher tier characters in New Dawn.
Our Demons Are Different
- The Black Blade approach, which although rather amoral, has its proponents among Well Intentioned Extremists. A Black Blade's properties usually include enough sheer magical might to cause devastating Sword Beam style blasts with a strong enough strike, sheer brute force enough to shatter most foes' ability to negate the attack, and usually an Anti-Magic ability which can negate an opponent's magical attacks and defenses.
- The Legend Weapon approach. Outside Matthew's Spell Core, there are few ways to obtain a Legend Class weapon. These weapons exceed even the Black Blades at times in terms of sheer destructive power. Most users need to carefully control power output. These weapons have absorbed enough Dormant Mana over the years so as to have power comparable to the old Vesper Cores. Among them, the strongest are: Kladenets, a blade of black plasma of forbidden power, Excalibur, an old, majitek-ish looking sword made to kill Eldritch Abomination's in large numbers and virtually anything else, and Totsuka no Tsurugi, which is made for killing Gods and deals wounds which cannot be repaired.
- The Majitek approach. The most recent and easily accomplished way of creating a sword, by blending technology, magic and some alchemy in there, you can create Majitek Blades. These are typically the weapons the Esper Organization uses, and are in great numbers nowadays. There are some famous Majitek Weapons, which are known for their power.
Thankfully, the demons present on Earth are very different than the ones on Gaia. The ones on earth are all either of the Youkai Variant or Oni Variant. These creatures were born with a larger concentration of Internal Mana and certain racial abilities, but they cannot utilize Spell Cores.
There are a number of Youkai allies to the Esper Organization, most of them situated in the Japanese area, due to the frequency of activity there due to the nativity of the legends.
There is a general classification system in place when dealing with threats of this nature. A Class VI Oni is typically just The Brute
and will appear in large numbers next to any Class III.
Class V is slightly more intelligent and stronger and more well armored than a Class VI. These will also likely be able to set up an Energy Array so as to drain the Internal Mana from large numbers of humans.
Class IV is a jump forward in intelligence, but they are not as strong as a Class VI or V, and are more suited toward planning and scheming. These creatures typically do work as Mauve Shirts
for the last three Classes.
Class III are deadly monsters capable of the occasional Xanatos Gambit
, most of these Was Once a Man
and either became a Tragic Monster Death Seeker
, or embraced its monstrous appearance and is now making a bid for control of the situation in Japan.
Class II is rare, almost as rare as Class I. But when these superpowered juggernauts surface, they are a force to be reckoned with. Almost like living Spell Cores, they have vast stores of Mana and can rip new Mana from normal humans around them, even drawing on Soul and Life Energy. These usually keep the above monsters in no short supply.
Class I is exceedingly rare, and the last time one of them surfaced, Kyoto was plunged into darkness for a week as Jikotsu Shikane
rose above the city and almost killed everyone in the city. Luckily Terumi killed Jikotsu before any fatalities ensued.
Class 0 has numbers which can be counted on one hand, but are borderline Reality Warper
level antagonists. When Jikotsu reversed time to escape Terumi, Touma Kyouda, local ditzy cop, revealed himself as a Class 0 and messily dismembered Jikotsu for his failures. Terumi was forced to fight Touma before he could end the world.
Our Ghouls Are Creepier
A Ghoul is definitely one of my eeriest monsters, these creatures were once humans who were twisted into flesh devouring demons by "twists" in their Internal Mana caused by bad External Mana use or "Stagnation", which causes any Mana in an area to go really bad. They are essentially The Heartless
, and when a human becomes a Ghoul, all of their repressed personality traits, things they were not willing to do normally, become part of their outward personality. This strain usually results in Ax-Crazy
Hector Gibbs is a Half-Ghoul, having all of their strengths and none of the weaknesses to Holy Weapons.
As a Ghoul ages, there is the distinct possibility it might become worse and worse, one in one hundred thousand Ghouls may well ascend to become vampiric eldritch abominations of very surreal existence. Number 15 King Aoboresh Terelt, a sentient tower filled with lesser Ghouls attached to the floors and walls by their own flesh, is one such creature.
A Ghoul's powers are not set in stone, and depend largely on the personality type of the person who turned to a Ghoul.
Our Genies Are Different
Only one Genie in this setting, and he happens to be the black cloak clad Seer. A formidable evil entity bound to "neutrality", this monster will grant all of your wishes, whether you say them or not.
The Seer is the Big Bad
of much of the series, though there are three entities more powerful than him.
His magic works by making new reality by a basis of someone's wish and desire. He cannot use this ability on himself, or we'd all be dead already.
edited 15th Sep '12 6:48:20 PM by NickTheSwing