- Dissidia: Final Fantasy: Different menu styles for each character's HP attacks.
- Kingdom Hearts: Blank Slate
- FanFic.Lovers Oath
- Nature of Nature's Art
- Pokémon Black and White
- Webcomic.Rosenkreuzstilette At 4 O Clock
- Superman: Secret Identity
- Thirty One Minutos: Every time one person is mentioned, their Leitmotif is played and everyone acknowledges it by looking at the camera.
- YMMV.Blues Clues
- He's Dead, Jim
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday
- Kirby's Epic Yarn
- Pokémon X: Brendan is the only one not aware of doing his Item Get! pose.
- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
- The French Lieutenant's Woman
- 30 Rock: First says "happens a lot", then potholed underneath an Aside Glance explicitly towards the audience.
- Brütal Legend: The "command beacon" gets acknowledged in-universe.
- Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard
- Freeman's Mind: Two mentions, both unclear. One of them specifically notes Medium Awareness.
- Gulliver's Travels: The prologue begins with a letter from Gulliver to cousin Sympson, followed by a letter from Sympson to the reader.
- Mister B. Gone
- Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide
- Characters.Project Arashi
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
- Toe Jam And Earl
- Yakitate!! Japan
- Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney: Medium Awareness.
- Good Sir, I Cannot Draw: Medium Awareness.
- On Her Majesty's Secret Service: just a Shout-Out to Sean Connery.
Little or no context
- Amelia Rules!
- Gaunt's Ghosts
- If on a winter's night a traveler
- Game.The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy
- The Warrior's Way
Okay, so out of the classic ptitle range I can draw three conclusions:
- I HATE SEARCHING NAMESPACES ON PTITLE ARTICLES.
- (However, it seems we can get a listing of all namespaces by substituting "Troper Works" in the article namespace, which triggers the "Namespace Moved" message and lists all namespaces for that title)
- There's an incredibly high rate (over half) of unclear examples in my sample.
- What exactly is this trope supposed to be in the first place?
edited 16th Oct '11 11:21:10 AM by Stratadrake
Looking at the Painting the Fourth Wall Western Animation section, actual examples seem to the be the exception, rather than the rule. Most of what is listed is Breaking the Fourth Wall, Fourth Wall Psych, or just gags that involve the fourth wall in some way. (e.g. Fake advertisements.) The trope itself means that some aspect of the medium itself is being used to communicate some concept or story element to the viewer, but the common usage seems to use it to mean "weird fourth wall-y stuff". Some of the problem seems to stem from the title. I've seen a pretty substantial number of examples of characters "literally" Painting the Fourth Wall, which almost inevitably ends up actually being an example of Breaking the Fourth Wall, since it generally means that the character starts to interact with the screen in some way.
edited 16th Oct '11 12:23:38 PM by Stratadrake
edited 16th Nov '11 11:24:31 PM by Elle
edited 18th Nov '11 8:10:21 AM by Stratadrake
Misuse more easily fixed than saidIn other words, I fixed them already. Still counts as misuse though.
- Characters.Ace Attorney Witnesses And Other Characters (Medium Awareness)
- Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War (Leaning on the Fourth Wall)
- Adventure Time (Aside Glance)
- Alice Comedies (Medium Awareness)
- Ambiguously Human (Medium Awareness)
- A Moment of Peace (Not an Example)
- CloudCuckoolander.Anime (Leaning on the Fourth Wall)
- Apollo Thirteen (Camera Abuse)
- Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney (Medium Awareness)
- Art Initiates Life (1st of 3; not related)
- Aside Glance (was Justified Trope)
- Assassin's Creed (was Flash of Pain)
- Axis Powers Hetalia (Medium Awareness)
- Austin Powers (Medium Awareness, Played for Laughs)
- Animal Man: "At one point, a panel in the comic is literally painted in. Buddy also uses his ability to step outside the fourth wall to help him beat Overman, literally pulling him out of continuity."
- Art Initiates Life (2nd of 3)
Misuse not so easily fixed
- Alexander Pushkin: "The half of the poem The Little House at Kolomna is about the verse metre used by Pushkin in the very same poem."
- (Alexander Pushkin, same example)
- Art Initiates Life (3rd of 3): "Brendan in The Secret of Kells defeats Crom Cruach with a
purple crayonpiece of chalk with which to redraw the animation."
Can't tell what's going on here
- Roleplay.Active Duty: "Makoto replied to an action that had accidentally been put into quotes by Johnson's player."
- Ah! My Goddess: "Done by Chihiro when Keiichi expresses surprise at her intention to use a 156 horsepower engine in her dream bike."
- All Over The House: "When Emily let colour into the comic for the first time, Tesrin complained that it burned her but Emily thought it "much nicer" Done again when hits on the site skyrocketed because of people searching for a pornographic music video called All Over The House."
- Animated Actors: "In the Gunnerkrigg Court interlude City Face, the commentary below each page speaks of the characters like actors playing roles. And the Shout Box below these pages featured commentary from these in-universe actors rather than from Real Life readers."
- Another Gaming Comic: "With the beginning of the Second Evil Campaign, roleplaying-game-traditional secret notes passed between players and the DM are represented by little notepad-objects, which display the note on mouse hover. A similar system is also used for the players' thought balloons."
- Answer Cut: "I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again couples this with Painting the Fourth Wall. 'We have just heard that David Hatch has left Radio Prune to create his own radio station, and it falls upon me to say...three years later. (gentle piano music in background)'
- Art Shift (2 citations)
- Assassin's Creed: Revelations: "The console versions of this game miss out on this, but with the PC version, when you start the 'Desmond's Journey' sequences, the main game closes, and soon after, the sequence opens up in a new program. It seems like an odd bug, but it's not - the Journey sequences are is an entirely different program from the main game's. It also feels perfectly in line with the entire 'corrupted dataflow' style the Animus of this game has adopted. This also occurs on the Xbox360 if you install the game to the harddrive. When you start or complete the Desmond sequences the system begins to read from the disk as if the game were not installed."
- Augmented Reality: "Some helicopters in Fringe's alternate universe have an information service that works in this manner. Presumably it includes an overlay of massive three-dimensional block letters identifying your current location."
- "Awesome McCool" Name: "Two of his minions also have names that beautifully paint the fourth wall: [[color:#2ED73A:D]][[color:white:o]][[color:#2ED73A:c Scratch]] and [[color:#2ED73A:Sn]]o[[color:#2ED73A:wman]]. All the other members of [[color:#2ED73A: The Felt]], and the gang itself, have names that are written in green."
Nonstandard medium conventions that convey metatext
- Aeon Natum Engel
- Characters.A Game Of Gods Nomads
- A Growing Affection
- Alfred Bester
- all lowercase letters
- Ancient Domains of Mystery
- A New Ninja Challenger
- Antihero for Hire
- A Prayer for Owen Meany
- archy and mehitabel
- Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
- A Sangheili's War Is Never Over
- A Series of Unfortunate Events
- Ashes and Dust (cited Medium Awareness and Lampshade Hanging for context)
- Ash's Return
- A World Without Rainbows
Our totals across this range are:
- Total misuse: 17*
- Easily fixed: 14
- "Literal": 2
- Other: 3
- Total ambiguous: 13 (not including +1 from the 'C' range)
- Zero-Context Example: 4
- Ambiguous context: 9
- Correct: 19
edited 8th Jan '12 12:05:08 PM by Stratadrake
First, the misuse:
Cited as misuse and easily corrected
- Earn Your Happy Ending (Not an Example)
- Quotes.Ear Worm (Punny Name)
- Echo Chamber (In-Universe Camera)
- Endless Ocean (In-Universe Camera)
- Epic Battle Fantasy (Breaking the Fourth Wall)
- Epic Mickey (Examples Are Not Arguable; moved to Notice This)
- Eternal Darkness (covered by Interface Screw)
- Everyone Is Jesus in Purgatory (Screen Tap)
- Examples Searching for a Trope (Born in the Theatre)
- 8-Bit Theater: "When BM solves problems through stabbity means, all we see is blood splattered on the fourth wall."
Other suspected misuse
- Ear Trumpet: "Hägar the Horrible once was trying to communicate with an old Viking. The problem: The Ear Trumpet was full of letters."
- Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard: "The stereotypical RPG prettyboy boss speaks in text boxes and is turn based, and the player can disrupt his Cure animation by shooting the health out of the air."
- WMG.Echo Chamber: "According to the YouTube channel (Word of God?), his name is Dave and he is the Visible Boom Mic operator. And you were supposed to see him."
- El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron: "Part of Armaros' dance routine is to feel up the screen."
- Evil Zone: "Get 100% Completion, and you get an audio drama where all the characters fight over who's the real main character.
- Easter Egg: "The Dresden Files RPG has PDF versions of the sourcebooks available if you buy them online. In several places where Harry has scratched out part of the text with Sharpie, you can copy the text into another program and read what was underneath. It's usually something like "By the way, if you're reading this, we sure bet you feel clever!"
- Everybody Hates Chris: "Frequently, especially in "Everybody Hates Mother's Day" when Chris Rock and adult Tonya have an argument in the voiceover booth, while the camera pans between young Chris and Tonya respectively."
- Sluggy Freelance: "[Chaz's] name, activation method and voice all indicate evil, but Chaz neither requires nor encourages evil acts...]"
- Eyeshield 21: "His thought bubbles are arrows containing short phrases pointing towards his opponent du jour."
- (none found in this range. Yay!)
Creative use of metatext:
Now for the totals.
- Total misuse: 15
- Quick fix: 9
- Literal Misuse: 1
- Other 5
- Total ambiguities: 4
- Correct, Exempt, Other: 5
edited 8th Jan '12 1:31:04 PM by Stratadrake
edited 18th Feb '12 2:27:14 PM by Catbert
edited 18th Feb '12 4:32:26 PM by Catbert
Alternative Titles: Painting The Fourth Wall
22nd Feb '12 2:35:43 PM