I haven't written enough of the story to answer some of the questions definitively and many don't apply but so far my "author avatar immortal werewolf" has managed to rack up an impressive... 19 points. And may well lose a few as the story unfolds.
Section 1: Author Avatars
1. Does your character look a lot like you? 1
I've made my style of beard "fashionable" where he comes from, to the point that the style is associated with that culture - should I add extra points for that?
4. Does your character have a job or skill that you really wish you had? 1
He's damned good at sword fighting.
5. Does your character share strong opinions and beliefs with you? 1
Some of them. He also has strong opinions and beliefs that are opposite to my own.
5a. Does he or she often state these opinions, argue with other characters about them, or try to win them over? 1
He's a rather opinionated bastard and not afraid to make his opinions known.
Section 2: Woobies
15. Has your character lost a close friend, relative, or mentor (not counting parents)? 2
He's lived for over 200 years in a war-prone area, losses are inevitable.
15a. Was it your character's fault?
No. Nor does he believe it to be.
19. Does your character suffer no lasting mental or emotional consequences from any of this, not counting dramatic angst? Skip this question if your character has a truly happy backstory.
Naturally, he was deeply saddened but you get over the losses with time. He's not the kind to wangst.
Section 3: Awesomeness
20. Is your character part of a race/species that is not the most common for his or her location? 2
Even in his own culture, wolf warriors and immortals are in the minority. When travelling abroad, he's definitely uncommon.
23. Does your character have an unusual birthmark, scar, or similar mark? Score one point instead of two if this feature makes the character unattractive.
Part of the nature of his kind is that they don't scar (cannot be permanently tattooed, either). This, he acknowledges, is a bit of a mixed blessing - it has its advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation.
24. Does your character have a cool weapon?
Some here have suggested that tooth-and-claw is a "cool weapon", but one could argue that it can also just be plain gross.
26. Does your character wear all black, all leather, or another cool-looking outfit?
His clothing's rather distinctive in that he has an unusual-looking vest (for practical reasons explained in-story). Other than that, his clothing is appropriate to his culture at that time - which marks him as a foreigner when he's abroad.
27. Does your character have an important artifact, magic item, or other plot object?
I'd have to say "no". There is a "MacGuffin
" - a piece of jewellery that must be delivered - that sets him on his quest. As the whole plot revolves around his narration of that quest, the item is "important" to the story (without it, he's got nothing to write about) but it's not intrinsically important/significant - no one's tearing the world apart looking for it or trying to acquire it.
28. Is your character royalty?
Not really. His uncle is current chieftain of his tribe but that's not a long-term situation.
29. Does your character have a title or cool nickname (not counting any one that is normal to his or her station)? 2
He rapidly gains one in-story by killing a far older and more experienced werewolf in single combat.
29a. One earned by some feat of great renown? 2
See 29 above. However, the "feat" has grown significantly in the retelling due to the very human propensity of people to exaggerate.
30. Does the character have a wide-ranging reputation (not because of his or her station)?
Not as such at first, until the exaggerated tales start spreading further afield. His kind and culture have something of a reputation, however, and that sometimes affects the way he's viewed by outsiders (not always beneficially.) At the start of the story, his personal reputation is known only among his kin.
32. Is your character an expert at multiple unrelated skills? 2
Inhumanly good at sword fighting and extremely well-read - multi-lingual and multi-literate.
32a. Is there no good explanation for why he or she is good at them?
Over 200 years you get to pick up a few skills
33. Is your character the absolute best at something?
No. In a number of areas he's far better than any mortal due to the length of time he's had to learn but there are others way better than him at practically anything he can do.
34. Does your character master new skills exceptionally fast?
No. He has his strengths and can be a "quick study" in some areas but no more so than anyone with a "knack" for a field. His learning speed is what would be expected of anyone. Also has areas that he finds exceptionally difficult to learn.
35. Does your character accomplish something that no one has ever accomplished, or that no one has accomplished in ages? 2
The defeat of the older werewolf as per q.29.
Section 3a: Setting-Specific Uniqueness
37. Is your character a werewolf or vampire? 1
A werewolf. Werewolves are a minority but not uncommon. The same could be said for trolls, orcs, vampires, gnomes and dwarfs.
45. Does your character have a healing factor or healing powers? 1
Complete and rapid healing. Also immune to all diseases. In-story this is normal for werewolves and their immortal kin.
46. Is your character ageless or immortal? 1
Does not age or sicken but can die from other causes, including starvation, drowning etc.
Section 4: World Warping
53. Does your character defeat the main villain by him or herself?
There's no "main villain" or Big Bad in the story. There are likely to be a number of antagonists of various types and for different reasons, from common armed robbers to people with a grudge or an axe to grind.
53a. Does he or she defeat every antagonist by him or herself?
No. Others in his group defeat antagonists, too.
53b. Does your character defeat villains who are much more powerful than him or her?
Not regularly. The werewolf in q.29 was a notable exception.
53c. Does your character win easily without a struggle?
Only in easy conflicts. A decent adversary can be quite a struggle to defeat.
54. Does your character defeat whole groups of dangerous enemies at once?
Depends who they are. 3 or 4 armed robbers, yes; 2 or 3 seasoned soldiers/warriors, no.
54a. Does he or she defeat an entire army by him or herself?
55. Does your character accomplish everything he or she attempts on the first try?
I rather doubt it.
56. Does your character never lose a fight or competition, even a casual one?
He's lost fights in the past, I dare say it'd happen again.
57. Is every major plot point accomplished by your character alone?
58. Do usually-competent characters end up needing his or her help?
Only if it was something that a competent character would normally need help with.
60. Does the story treat your character's goals and problems as far more important than anyone else's?
The story is narrated in the first person, there is a natural bias towards the character's goals and problems.
60a. As far more important than larger threats?
A larger and/or imminent threat would take priority.
61. Does your character break any rules of your universe, such as the rules of magic, or do those rules work differently for him or her alone?
You cannae change the Laws of Magic, James.
Section 5: Reactions and Consequences
65. Does everyone automatically like your character?
No. Some automatically dislike him due to their own prejudices, others can be indifferent. That's fine - he's been known to automatically dislike some people based on his own prejudices.
66. If other people dislike your character, is it because they're jealous?
If it's instant dislike, it's more likely because of where he comes from or the fact that he's a werewolf or both. If they've had time to get to know him, it could be because he's said something that's pissed them off.
66a. Is it obsessive hate?
Not generally, unless the person's a frothing-at-the mouth bigot. Normally just dislike with a side order of "let's kill him and take his purse".
66c. Does something bad happen to people who dislike your character, especially ironically?
Only if they try to express their dislike in terms of physical violence - he generally makes sure something bad happens to them...
67a. Does your character get to have sex with lots of other characters?
He's from a society where polyamory is common and he has a number of romantic/sexual partners already.
67c. Do people of the wrong sexual orientation fall in love with your character
72. When there are disagreements, is your character always right?
73. Does your character get listened to, followed, and respected more than his or her age, position, and experience would merit?
Quite the opposite. Due to looking no older than around 25 and unmarked, many people tend to think he's an inexperienced youth and discount him. Only those who know who/what he is give him the accord his age, position and experience deserve.
76. Does your character have modern views that are unusually progressive for that setting?
No. His views are in accordance with those for his time, place and culture, including his views on slavery.
80a. Are his or her only personality flaws stubbornness, impulsiveness, or a bad temper?
No. He's arrogant, bigotted and has other failings.
81. Does your character consider a cool trait to be a curse, even though it doesn't have any actual negative effects?
He's rather realistic about the benefits and shortcomings of all traits - e.g. his apparent unblemished youthfulness may cause some to discount his advice but it also causes others to underestimate him in combat. The benefits and the negatives are real and he accepts them.
82. If your character is injured, is he or she fine in the next scene?
Only due to the fact that, as a werewolf, healing is rapid and complete. A really serious wound may well take over a day to heal, though.
83. If your character has a vice like a drug addiction, does he or she never suffer any consequences from it?
He smokes but, due to his inate healing ability, does not suffer as a mortal would.
Section 6: De-Suifiers
This is where my character may well lose a few Sue Points as the story progresses.
86. Is your character middle-aged or older (40+ or the equivalent for his or her race)?
I thought long and hard about this but decided that at only 203, he's pretty young for his kind.
91. Does your character fail at something important?
It's entirely possible that he could.
91a. Are there significant negative consequences?
I'd expect there would be.
91b. Does he or she ever lose a fight against someone of the same or lesser skill level?
It's happened in the past, it could happen again.
91c. Does your character ever ignore a problem hoping it will go away (but it doesn't), or give up on something without trying?
This is entirely possible.
92. Does your character need another character's help with something important?
I dare say he will do.
93. Is your character ever wrong and admits that he or she is wrong?
He's not infallible and it's a matter of honour to own one's mistakes.
93a. Does a wrong choice ever lead to negative consequences?
It should do.
94. Does your character struggle with doubts about the morality of his or her actions, and are these doubts never fully resolved?
I'm setting the ground work for such a struggle and I have no plans for him to resolve it.
95. Does your character ever get ignored, snubbed, or overlooked by characters who aren't villains?
Potentially very frequently.
96. Does your character mistreat another person who isn't a villain?
97. If your character is not a villain, does he or she ever do something outright villainous, and not in a cool or romantic way?
Not sure yet. Will see how the character progresses.
98. Are there other characters who consistently outthink your character?
Not sure - haven't encountered them all yet.
99a. Alternatively, is your character in a committed relationship for the whole story with no significant romantic rivals?
He's in a number of committed relationships...
100. Does your character have other problems that don't go away by the end of the story?
I dare say there will be a few.
edited 24th Jul '12 5:55:23 AM by Wolf1066