This article has a bigger problem. I was gonna make a thread for that, but since there's already one, here we go:
Sometimes renames just plain fail. Sometimes the name we pick to rename a trope has issues of its own. Way back, this trope had the unwieldy, unintuitive name of "Cue Cullen
". We changed that. Problem is, the new name is has caused MASSIVE
The trope's definition is aptly summed up by the two first lines:
So they're finally making The Movie of your favorite franchise (probably from The Eighties). And you hate it. They're doing the casting wrong, they have the wrong director, they're ruining your childhood and so on.
And then they bring out the one thing that makes you go, "Holy crap, this is going to be awesome."
In more generic terms, this trope is supposed to be about a specific announcement that makes fan suddenly accept an adaptation of an existing work they were lukewarm to before - the current writeup has a specific focus on casting. Especially someone reprising their role, or a very specific form of Stunt Casting
The original trope namer was Peter Cullen returning to voice Optimus Prime in the first Michael Bay movie.
But the trope is used for anything
that happens to be pleasing to the fans. A sequel is announced? And the Fandom Rejoiced
. Has it been renewed for a new season? And the Fandom Rejoiced
. Are the authors Pandering to the Base
? And the Fandom Rejoiced
. You get the idea.
But I'll let the wick check talk for itself:
- Age of Empires
- American Gods (Technically refers to the author writing the adaptation too rather than casting, but close enough)
- YMMV.Back To The Future
- YMMV.Patrick Stewart
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor
- Recap.My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic S 2 E 4 Luna Eclipsed: Potholed for the return of a popular character
- YMMV.Ace Attorney: Reacting to the mere announcement of a sequel crossing over with another franchise
- YMMV.Ace Attorney Investigations Miles Edgeworth: Reacting to the game being about an Ensemble Darkhorse
- Adored by the Network: Sink Hole, reacting to the continued airing of Invader Zim.
- Alas, Poor Scrappy: Reacting to a game being Uncanceled and released.
- Advertised Extra: Sinkhole, talking about publicity featuring characters in a sequel as "invoking the trope".
- YMMV.American Mc Gees Alice: Reaction to the announcement of a sequel.
- YMMV.Animal Crossing: Rejoicing at the sequel having features the fans asked
- Film.Avatar: Sinkhole
- YMMV.Axe Cop: Cheering about a crossover.
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: Cheering about the next volume of a work having started
- Big Bang: Sinkhole about winning an award.
- YMMV.Bill And Ted: Cheering about a sequel
- YMMV.Birds Of Prey: Cheering about the comic being re-launched.
- YMMV.Blaz Blue Continuum Shift: Cheering about DLC characters
- YMMV.Blue Beetle: Cheering about the comic being re-launched.
- Breakable Weapons: Cheering about a game's sequel's change in mechanics.
- YMMV.Call Of Duty Black Ops: Cheering about a specific character being in the game.
- YMMV.Carmageddon: Cheering coz the series is getting a reboot.
- YMMV.Code Lyoko: Cheering at a new season's existence.
- Continuity Reboot: Cheering over something being Discontinuity.
- YMMV.Dark Stalkers: Sink Hole. Cheering about a slight tweak to a character's moves inbetween games.
- Darkwing Duck: Sinkhole cheering at the mere existence of an adaptation.
- YMMV.Dead Rising 2: Cheering over a case of I Knew It.
- YMMV.Disgea: Cheering over improved graphics
- YMMV.Dwarf Fortress: Cheering over newly implemented features.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Sink Hole to WMG being confirmed.
- YMMV.Halo4: No explanation at all (Lit: "Well Duh.").
- Harry Potter: Put at the end of an entry for Big Damn Kiss
- YMMV.ICO: Cheering about a rerelease.
- I Knew It: Cheering over a character appearing in DLC.
- YMMV.Jem: Cheering that reruns are being aired.
- YMMV.John Cena: Guy appears in some event. Also, person is not a work.
- YMMV.Ka Blam: Cheering about the episodes being on youtube and piratable. Pretty sure that's misuse and questionably legal to boot.
- YMMV.Lego: Rejoicing over liscences being acquired.
- YMMV.Left 4 Dead: Cheering over DL Cs, new features, and pretty much whatever.
- YMMV.Mad World: Cheering over spiritual successor's trailer.
- YMMV.Mario Kart: Cheering over elements of a sequel.
- Music.Nevermore: Sink Hole for Megadeth.
- No Campaign for the Wicked: Cheering over a sequel averting this.
- YMMV.Odd World: Cheering over more sequels coming, and over a port of a game.
- Olympic Games: Sinkhole that doesn't even make sense with the definition.
- YMMV.Quake III Arena: Cheering about certain maps being in the game.
- Questionable Content: Cheering over The Bus Came Back.
- Manga.Ranma One Half: Sinkhole about divided fan reaction to an adaptation.
- YMMV.Random Doom: Gushing over a storyline element.
- YMMV.Samurai Jack: Cheering over the development of The Movie without the rest of the trope.
- YMMV.Saw: Cheering over a character returning in a sequel.
- Team Fortress 2: Cheering over a character's new weapons.
- YMMV/Tekken: Cheering over a sequel's announcement.
- YMMV.Burn Notice: Cheering about the existence of a prequel movie. Not technically an adaptation.
- YMMV/Castlevania: Technically not referring to an adaptation, but does cheer at the casting.
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution Technically a prequel, cheering over the leaked beta winning over many fans.
- YMMV.Kaizers Orchestra: Rejoicing over an album containing some previously rare tracks.
edited 19th Dec '11 10:03:27 PM by Ghilz