What are your character's underlying motivations?:
- Akiko: Strong fear of starvation and dying alone -> need for security and stability -> need for wealth, power, and respect to attain the latter -> prostitution, thievery, and general mayhem-attention-causing actions. Motivation changes over time to grow from its end there into wanting to free herself from Domestic Abuse and an Unwanted Spouse - complicated by her committing adultery.
- Mikami: Fear of attachment due to being pushed away by family -> cannot attach to husband (not taking into account her Incompatible Orientation, which does not directly cause her lack of attachment to husband) -> husband is also cold, away often, and suspicious -> feels uncomfortable among other noblewomen, who strike her as superficial -> seeks comfort from prostitutes (whom she can control sexually and who she desires) -> changes brothels and women frequently to avoid attachment (and potential liability). Also feeding into this pathos is her want of genuine affection and honesty, which has been lacking in her life to some degree consistently, and she finds in Akiko. However, she also controls Akiko in various ways, largely sexual, but also acting as The Caretaker, she refuses to let Akiko commit suicide or otherwise die. Eventually, realizing that persuading her lover otherwise is truly hopeless, she either commits jigai or leaves and is not seen again. (still thinking about that)
- Inagi: Sociopathy and low social position -> Inferiority Superiority Complex -> constant resentment of those in power -> seizure of power when opportunity arrives -> need to be center of attention and recognized -> violent and illogical actions (consumate with sociopathic traits) -> mistreatment of others and blatant abuse of laws -> necessary deposition -> further resentment of those now in authority -> twisted thinking that he was usurped and gravely wronged by others (imagined) -> will do anything to achieve his goal of attaining the same power and revenging himself -> violent actions against current leader's wife to turn the two against each other and weaken him in preparation for Challenging the Chief.
What are yours? Do you know? If you do, how do their most basic motivations affect the rest of their actions? Is there some sort of path or pattern that you can identify or see? You don't have to write them out like mine, of course - however you want is fine (mine might be a bit confusing, too...) I also just realized that my most-developed character, Akiko, has the simplest motivation.... Wierd.
edited 30th May '11 12:48:36 PM by punkreader
- First, she's driven by her own ambition, selfishness and sense of self-preservation. She WILL do whatever it takes to survive, thrive, and triumph.
- Next, she is driven by undying hatred and contempt towards the State Sec. She is determined to Kill 'em All in quick but painful ways.
- Then, she has her own impulses and physical needs to take care of. Food, booze, sleep, sex, drugs, entertainment.
- It's the right thing to do.
- It's a profit for me.
- It's the only thing I know how to do.
edited 30th May '11 11:39:13 PM by Wolf1066
edited 31st May '11 12:44:02 AM by annebeeche
Spiral: Originally, he wanted to leave his mark on the world, so that he would be remembered. That goal has drifted over the millennia, no small surprise as he has headed the world's most powerful Mega Corp. since before recorded history(long story).
Case is motivated solely by his own happiness. He does what makes him happy and if doing something doesn't make him happy he doesn't do that thing.
- Hyun Soo: He wants everything around him to not change and threatened, especially his friends and family. He also wants to do what is right, fulfill his "Noblesse Oblesse", and be a proud son to his adopted parents.
- Ji Ho: Having fun, without being involved with his deadly mistakes from his past again, but also wanting to make up for it.
- Eun A: Not having to obey her opressive clan and having someone to stay beside her without fearing her.
- Marcus: Finding the absolute truth of the world, while finding a place to settle down.
edited 31st May '11 1:35:35 AM by dRoy
You need to Get Known to get one of those.