- A character appends some kind of interjection after their statement to imply that it was meant as a Double Entendre.
- "If you know what I mean" is one particular Stock Phrase used for precisely this purpose.
- An in-universe trope.
- About any old Double Entendre by itself.
- "Everything's Better With Double Entendres"
An in-universe character appends the Stock Phrase at the end of their statement to imply it was intended as an innuendo. Troper Tic:
A wiki editor appends the Stock Phrase to the end of their statement to imply it was intended as an innuendo.
The trope is potholed underneath an in-universe statement or reference which is a Double Entendre in and of itself, but the Stock Phrase, and thus the actual trope, is not invoked.
- Ptitlenvoh2w2y (second of 2 links)
- Ptitle1p58slzy (Two of 3 links)
- Ptitlebrl75dwevzir (both of 2 links)
- Ptitle2zyyqezbehpc (all of 3 links)
The trope is potholed underneath a statement made by a wiki editor, for which there appears to be no in-universe innuendo occuring whatsoever; the Double Entendre was created by the editor in question, thus the trope is not invoked.
- Ptitleg25tr1bo (both of 2 links)
- Ptitleklehe55i (both of 2 links)
- Ptitle1p58slzy (one of 3 links)
The trope is potholed underneath a euphemism referring to something other than an actual, sexual innuendo.
- Ptitlefkr4m8sq - Refers to pooping
- Ptitlel59ywfenym8d - Refers to stealth kills
- Ptitle23580fpu - References That's What She Said.
Conclusion: ... Although a sample of 60 wicks corresponds to only one percent of its total usage, the verdict is... well, quite damning: I did not find a single link where the trope was being used correctly and in-universe. I did find approximately 8 percent where the trope was applied out-of-universe but otherwise correctly, and some of the remainder are ambiguous ... but regardless of how you evaluate it, the disconnect between definition and usage is over ninety percent across my sample. (I challenge you to do your own samples and prove me wrong.) So what do we do? It's obviously been one of the most successful pages as measured by both wikilinks and inbound counts, but for precisely the wrong reasons.
edited 5th May '11 1:56:39 PM by Stratadrake
edited 5th May '11 1:45:20 PM by Ironeye
edited 5th May '11 1:48:34 PM by FastEddie
edited 5th May '11 1:57:44 PM by Stratadrake
edited 5th May '11 2:52:46 PM by chihuahua0
edited 5th May '11 3:20:01 PM by chihuahua0
- Zone of the Enders: Pot-holed in description. Misuse.
- Zip Me Up: Canít find.
- Zettai Karen Children: Canít find.
- Zero no Tsukaima
- Zero-G Spot: Pot-holed in description. Misuse.
- Zap!: Probably a misuse.
- Yu Yu Hakusho Abridged: Misuse.
- Yuyu Hakusho: May be a correct use, but I canít tell if it was quoted in the scene or not.
- YuYu Hakusho: Misuse.
- Yuri Fan: Misuse.
- Yuria 100 Shiki: Misuse.
edited 5th May '11 4:07:59 PM by chihuahua0
edited 7th May '11 9:35:33 AM by Balmung
edited 7th May '11 10:24:29 AM by chihuahua0
edited 7th May '11 10:33:39 AM by chihuahua0
edited 7th May '11 10:33:36 AM by Discar
edited 7th May '11 5:30:53 PM by jebuz
The country with a 2 party system
But all the power with independents
Alternative Titles: If You Know What I Mean
12th Jul '11 1:57:06 PM