I've been mulling over a story of mine, and I'd like to make the lead character's primary power to be size-shifting. Seems like something that would allow for no shortage of CMoAs
, and the chance to have the heroine power-bomb a dragon.
Problem is, I want to make sure she's balanced in the story proper — a lethal force, of course, but not so crippled that she's useless. To say nothing of the depth it could give her character.
So here's what I've been thinking so far. The story's set in a fantastic Sword And Sandal
world, and at the outset the heroine's a relatively normal single mother (save for a few bovine traits
). But she gets cursed, and travels the land in search of a cure. Or...something like that.
Anyway, she has two modes: a fun-size mode where she's magically locked at 20 feet, and her "Super Mode
" size of 200 feet. From there, here are some pros/cons I've come up with:
- She’s really damn strong.
- Whether she’s at 20 feet or 200, she’s got an advantage over rank-and-file soldiers and monsters. Kind of a one-woman army situation.
- She can take a beating; physical attacks from weaker enemies can just be laughed off.
- She can clear long distances with greater ease than the average human — swimming across oceans, climbing mountains, things like that.
- She’s SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. Even if she’s fighting a small enemy, the tables are evened by the fact that she has to catch her enemy first. Which leads into…
- Unskilled, but Strong: she’s all about brute force and physical attacks, while her enemies are often significantly more battle-hardened. Like any good David Versus Goliath situation, a savvy fighter can still give her a rough time - or to put it another way, it’s like how a tick can kill a horse. Which then leads into…
- Her primary weakness is that she’s quite vulnerable to magic attacks. Against a monster, it might not be so bad; against a human, there’s trouble. Against an army of magic-slinging soldiers, well…
- Normal or super, she’s going to cause a lot of property damage. Not a nice thought, considering the Fantastic Racism against giants in-universe…
Naturally, there’s probably a lot more issues that I could include (chief among them, the relationship between the big mama and her son) — which is why I need you handsome/beautiful tropers to throw some ideas my way. What kind of issues would a giant face?
I’ll leave it to you, comrades!
And before anyone asks, Magic Pants
and the like are in effect. I like to keep it clean, you know?