YMMV: You Have to Burn the Rope
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Is the main character a hero who defeats the monster or is he a villain who goes into the home of a perfectly harmless nonhuman who can't even escape his own home, and slaughters it without remorse?
- Awesome Music: The well-deserved credits music. You'll be humming it all day long afterward.
- Anti-Climax Boss: The Grinning Colossus gets a One-Hit Kill from a chandelier.
- Designated Villain: The colossus seems like a pretty friendly, happy guy, if only you weren't trying to drop a chandelier on his head.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The most common way to describe the main character is "a cross between Kirby and Indiana Jones." A few years later, we get Kirby's Return to Dream Land, where Whip Kirby wears a familiar-looking hat...
- It's Short, so It Sucks : Averted. Once you figure out all of the tricks, it's a little on the short side even for a Flash game, but that hasn't stopped many people from playing it multiple times, sometimes in a row. Even if only for the Awesome Music.
- Surprise Difficulty: Inverted in that players not knowing anything about You Have to Burn the Rope would most likely assume that it's a platformer of standard difficulty. Not quite...
- The Untwist: From the very moment you start playing.