- Billing Displacement: On posters for his movies, the cast is organized in alphabetical order by their last names, meaning that actors with small roles are often billed first, while actors playing the main characters are in the middle-to-bottom.
- Creator Backlash:
- Allen hates most of his films because they can never live up to the expectations he has while making them. He finds audiences' attachment to Annie Hall and Manhattan irrational and perplexing.
- Taken Up to Eleven when he stated that his upcoming Amazon series is a "cosmic embarrassment", before it even premieres.
- He has, however, said that he does have a fondness for Zelig, Stardust Memories, Match Point and The Purple Rose of Cairo.
- Also famously agreed with the backlash against Curse of the Jade Scorpion.
- Tom Hanks Syndrome: Leveled at Woody Allen by fans and critics. Lampshaded in Stardust Memories.
Sandy Bates: But shouldn't I stop making movies and do something that counts, like-like helping blind people or becoming a missionary or something?
Martian: Let me tell you, you're not the missionary type. You'd never last. And incidentally, you're also not Superman; you're a comedian. You want to do mankind a real service? Tell funnier jokes.
- Of course, even when Woody Allen was funny, his movies and jokes were often quite painful and mature, while his humor was always dark.
- Write Who You Know: Allen's work is very personal and will talk about both his relations and break-ups.