YMMV: Wing Commander
- Fandom Rivalry: The fandoms of Wing Commander and Freespace have at times butted heads, influenced in part by personal dislikes.
- Fanon Discontinuity: Depending on who you ask, one or a combination of the following: Prophecy and later games, the novels, the movie, the cartoon, and in rare cases, Wing Commander III and IV.
- Growing the Beard: While the main campaign of the first Wing Commander and the first Secret Missions expansion pack were miles ahead of anything else available in the early 90s in terms of graphics and game play, the storyline is little more than an Excuse Plot. In Secret Missions 2 the characterization and plot both become much more engrossing. We first meet several recurring characters in SM2, both heroes and villains.
- Retroactive Recognition:
- The Scrappy: Everybody seems to hate Maniac (both in real life and in-universe)... Except for the writing staff, since of all of the cast members who get Killed Off for Real, Maniac — the most likely candidate given his rank, status, and reckless behavior — isn't one of them.
- Stoic Woobie: Mariko "Spirit" Tanaka and Michael "Iceman" Casey both have lost loved ones to the Kilrathi (fiance and family, respectively), but don't go wallowing in self-pity over it.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Blair in the video games was portrayed by Mark Hamill, best known for playing a Jedi. Blair in the film is played by Freddie Prinze Jr., who would go on to play a Jedi.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: A very common complaint, particularly the name of the carrier changing from TCS Tiger's Claw to TCS Tiger Claw due to script editing confusion between editors for the film.
- They Just Didn't Care: The actors seem to be attempting to care, and many other aspects seem polished, but misspelling common words (breach) and the names of main characters (Devereaux and Tolwyn) is unforgivable. They also mix up actors Tcheky Karyo and Jurgen Prochnow on the back of the DVD.
- Foe Yay: An occasional element of Maniac and Archer's UST.