- Crowning Music of Awesome: The full classic theme.
- Ear Worm: If you're old enough (and North American), the opening fanfare is already in your head.
- Never Live It Down: Vinko Bogataj, AKA the "Agony Of Defeat" guy.
- Vinko was competing in a ski jump event in 1970 when he spectacularly wiped out. Amazing enough, he suffered only minor cuts. The show would, every so often, switch out "The Thrill Of Victory" to represent any current winning athlete or team. But they kept Vinko's wipeout for their entire history to represent "The Agony of Defeat" (they changed it in the mid-Nineties to add an Indy race car smash-up, but the classic clip remained).
- Being a Yugoslavian, he never knew that he had achieved infamy in the United States until 1981 when the show held an anniversary party and invited him. He got an autograph request from Muhammad Ali.
"Every time I'm on ABC, I crash."
- In a bit of irony, Vinko suffered a minor car accident while on his way to be interviewed by ABC's Terry Gannon.