- Adaptation Distillation: The show is much more popular than the books they're based on, which is saying something when the show itself is pretty obscure.
- Ear Worm: The theme song.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: What-a-Mess's voice is not extremely indicative of either gender, and since he's not a Funny Animal, he lacks any Tertiary Sexual Characteristics as well. On top of that, the natural traits of Afghan Hounds tend to make them look rather feminine by default. When What-a-Mess is clean and groomed (a rare occurrence) one could easily be forgiven for mistaking him as a girl.
- The Woobie: Whatamess himself in quite a few episodes.
- Jerkass Woobie: Trash. He's not a nice guy by any means, but his owner is clearly a lazy bum who doesn't treat him right.