- Adaptation Distillation: The show is much more popular than the books they're based on, which is saying something when the show itself is pretty obscure.
- Americans Hate Tingle: A lot of British fans really hate the DiC series, particularly the characters' loud voices and broader humor.
- Ear Worm: The reggae-tinged theme song from the American series, which was often used as a Leitmotif.
- The theme for the British version as well.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: What-a-Mess's voice is not extremely indicative of either gender, and since he's not a Funny Animal, he lacks any Tertiary Sexual Characteristics as well. On top of that, the natural traits of Afghan Hounds tend to make them look rather feminine by default. When What-a-Mess is clean and groomed (a rare occurrence) one could easily be forgiven for mistaking him as a girl.
- They Just Didn't Care: Toon Disney often reran the American series with episodes from the British version at random. Though this was sometimes a good thing, as it introduced the other series to an audience who'd otherwise never know it existed.
- The Woobie: Whatamess himself in quite a few episodes.
- Jerkass Woobie: Trash. He's not a nice guy by any means, but his owner is clearly a lazy bum who doesn't treat him well.