YMMV / Water for Elephants
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- Robert Pattinson plays a character named "Jacob". This also happens to be the name of the romantic rival to Pattinson's character in a popular film series, also based on books.
- In a deleted scene of the 2004 film Vanity Fair, Robert Pattinson played Reese Witherspoon's estranged son. In Water for Elephants, they play lovers.
- In 1998, Reese Witherspoon was in a film that happened to be called Twilight.
- Robert Pattinson plays a creepy, abusive, jealous stalker in Twilight. Here he plays the (non-abusive) protagonist in a story that deconstructs abusive relationships.
- Moral Event Horizon: August throwing Walter and Camel off the train as it goes over a trestle bridge.
- Or earlier, when he beats the hell out of Rosie for running away, leaving her covered in gashes.
- Retroactive Recognition: The dog in the film is played by Uggie, who would become famous the same year as the dog in The Artist.