- Cargo Ship: A somewhat complicated In-Universe example—Jewels never stopped loving Arsteel... Yes, we mean it in that way.
- Fridge Brilliance: Lemex catches fever and dies just as Vivenna reaches him, resulting in the fortunate passing on of his Breath to her. The timing of the death is a large coincidence that slightly strains suspension of disbelief. However, the truth is that Denth is responsible for the death and the timing, revealed with his sudden betrayal.
- Lawful Neutral: The God King's priests.
- Magnificent Bastard: Denth. Not only does he have Vivenna (and the reader) convinced he's a good guy for the first half of the novel, he's also the driving force behind destabilizing Hallandren from within and is Dangerously Genre Savvy.
- Moral Event Horizon: Blushweaver's murder. So not cool.
- Nightmare Fuel: This little exchange:
Vasher [quietly]: Torturing me won't bring her back.Denth [turning, the moonlight glinting on his blade]: No. It won't.
- Squick: Per Word of God, Clod the Lifeless was once Arsteel. Denth's teammate Jewels was once in love with Arsteel. Now that he's a Lifeless, she still sometimes sleeps with him. Yeah, Denth's team all have issues.
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: The foreshadowing that the Pahn Kahl are behind everything is very subtle; not much information is given about them, so it feels like The Reveal comes out of nowhere.