- Alternative Character Interpretation: Arguably the whole point of the film - was President George W. Bush a Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds who was Too Dumb to Live, a misguided but well intentioned son-of-a-"Well Done, Son!" Guy who just wanted to atone for his past mistakes and do right by his family's legacy, or just an average guy who was in way over his head and couldn't quite comprehend what he'd gotten himself into? Or some combination of these, or something else altogether?
- Award Snub: Brolin recieved little to no awards attention for his performance as Bush.
- There's also those who felt that Richard Dreyfus' performance as Dick Cheney was more worthy of a film than Bush himself.
- Harsher in Hindsight: Josh Brolin plays George W Bush, who had a drinking problem throughout part of his adult life. On New Year's Eve 2013 Brolin was arrested for a public intoxication.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: In a 2004 interview with Playboy, when asked if he would ever make a film about George W. Bush, Oliver Stone said this:
"It's too soon. You need some historical perspective. We had to wait 20 years to do Nixon. As a dramatist, you have to wait. Right now Bush is in full play. It's not time for a biography."
- Squick: The scene where W is shown sitting on the toilet and pulling the toilet paper. Did they really have to show THAT?
- Yes. At no point was it acknowledged by either he or Laura that he was taking a dump. It was instead intended to show how confortable they are with each other.