- Acceptable Targets: All original characters are white and British. All are stereotypes, chavs, Essex girls etc.
- Base Breaker: Billy the Fish. Some of the comic's fans love the strip because it features little in the way of crude, profane stuff, and derives its humour more from parodies of classic football strips. And other fans hate it for exactly the same reason.
- Dude, Not Funny!: Anna Reksik has gotten this reaction from eating disorder charities and treatment clinics.
- The Scrappy: Questionnaires used to ask readers to name their least favorite strip "EXCEPT Billy The Fish."
- Word of God states that Billy The Fish was intentionally designed to be the Scrappy: the stupid, unfunny and generally crap strip that always gets read last. It is the only strip drawn in greyscale, in order to make even the artwork look dull.
- Shallow Parody: Sometimes the case, but always played for Rule of Funny.
- Spiritual Licensee: Thunderpants is not the Johnny Fartpants movie. But it's close.
- Im Alan Partridge is very similar to the Roger Mellie strips, although Partridge is far less vulgar than Mellie.