- Acceptable Targets: Jonah's height comes for a great deal of mockery.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Amy's meltdown/"The Reason You Suck" Speech in "Convention" ends with her tearfully berating Selina because she believes that her incompetence will destroy the chance of any more women becoming president, implying that her workaholic tendencies and her manipulation of Jonah to get Dan fired in London is out of idealism.
- Crosses the Line Twice:
Selina: I need to be driven to the airport at Diana speed. But more carefully, please.
- This gem of a quote in "Special Relationship," when Selina decides to "get the merry old fuck out of merry old England."
- Selina on Queen Elizabeth II: "She's a real cunt." Note that this was shortly after the show's British creator left it in the hands of the American crew.
- Dueling Shows: (or maybe complimenting shows) BBC America started airing the original The Thick of It around the same time Veep started (they did the same thing for Free Agents).
- Growing the Beard: A more gradual case than most. The first season earned positive reviews, though it was with the second season that the show earned recognition for more than Julia Louis-Dreyfus' performance, with many noting the strengthening of its supporting characters and citing episodes like "Hostages" as a case for the show expanding its scope.
- Harsher in Hindsight: Two episodes in season 2 deal with debt negotiations that fail, leading to a government shutdown. Fast forward to October 2013...
- The hostage crisis in Turkmenistan became a controversy In-Universe because the President failed to inform Congress that one of the student hostages was a CIA spy, therefore endangering the lives of the other hostages. In May 2014, Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was released after 5 years of captivity by the Taliban in a prisoner exchange for the Taliban five from Guantanamo, a move of which Congress was not informed 30 days prior by the White House (Congress is supposed to receive 30 days' notice for the release of prisoners from Guantanamo). Not only is that a thorn in President Obama's side now, but Sgt. Bergdahl himself has been charged with desertion and misbehavior before the enemy (for which his disappearance cost the lives of several comrades looking to recover him).
- In universe: The jokes made during the third season at the First Lady's expense become this when she attempts suicide.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: When she's on her book tour, a fan presents a butter sculpture of "the great state of Iowa" to a visibly unimpressed and flustered Selina. Cue Ted Cruz campaigning for the Iowa caucuses.
- In season 4, Selina's campaign slogan was "Continuity with Change". Then, Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull made several references to "continuity and change", a fact that did not go unnoticed by the creators, who commented that they'd picked it because "it was the most meaningless election slogan we could think of".
- Magnificent Bitch: Amy leaking to Jonah to get Ray and Dan fired and land herself the campaign manager job gives her a moment of this.
- Never Live It Down: Discussed in "Helsinki" after Selina is sexually assaulted by the Finnish PM's husband, and the reason why they can't let anyone know about it.
Amy: It's not like we can go public about it. Your tit being fondled by a Finn, that'd be all you were remembered for. You can't build a statue on that.
- Rewatch Bonus: In "Signals," a tabloid article exposed Selina's secret signals she uses to alert her aides to rescue her from an unwanted conversation. In the season 1 episode "Catherine," she rubs her ear and Gary magically appears with a fake phone call from the President.
- Squick: Selina tearing up her face and hand when she shatters a glass door.
- Tearjerker: The end of "Hostages."
- The end of "The Eagle" when China bans foreign adoptions in response to Selina falsely blaming them for her embarrassing tweets. When Mike (who was planning to adopt a baby from China) finds out he can't even finish the press conference and just walks out of the room despondently. Especially considering he told Selina to tell the truth about the tweets rather than blame China.