- Best Known for the Fanservice: Quite literally in this case. The scene where Erika Eleniak pops out of a giant cake while topless is one of the most-remembered scenes from the first film.
- Crosses the Line Twice: Krill's acts of hostility towards Ryback, beginning with spitting in the chef's soup.
I bet they fucking love you now, eh?
- Krill drowning his crew his both despicable and petty given that his reasoning is "They never liked me anyway." But the moment is made hilarious when Daumer replies:
- Evil Is Cool: William Strannix and Commander Krill, primarily because of Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey hamming it up like beasts, but also for providing a competent challenge for Ryback.
- God-Mode Sue: At no point does it ever look like Ryback is in trouble, and yet it's still remarkably subdued compared to Seagal's usual characters - Ryback is far less respected than the standard Seagal protagonist, for starters. The hostages are supporting cast are usually in a lot more danger, so the movies still manage to have some tension.
- Squick: Ryback crushing Strannix's eye with his thumb, complete with oozing sludge.
- Special Effects Failure: It's pretty obvious Strannix's body when he is killed is a dummy.
- Tear Jerker: Ryback draping the dead Captain's uniform over his body, after Ryback finds the captain killed in cold blood.