Especially in an Ultimate Universe
style reboot, you'll find things opinion varies on. The Ultimate Sleepwalker fic is no exception.
- Archive Panic: Check the main page for the full details.
- Better Than Canon: A few of the reviewers on Fanfiction.net have claimed this.
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: A few of these occur every now and again, usually involving Cloud Cuckoo Lander Kenny. One such instance is an interlude describing the first issue of his webcomic, which is basically an Author Filibuster viciously condemning Matt Groening for not having the balls to cancel The Simpsons before it started to suck, while ridiculing the notion that Family Guy rips off The Simpsons. The strip ends with Groening having a Villainous Breakdown and admitting that he sold his creative soul for money, while admitting that Family Guy is still funny.
- Character Rerailment: When 8-Ball was introduced in the mainstream continuity he was a laidback Magnificent Bastard with a wry sense of humor, essentially being a more moral version of The Joker. However he ended up being relegated to C-List Fodder, suffered massive Badass Decay, and was widely forgotten. Here he's reset into his original characterization and fighting skill.
- Evil Is Cool: 8-Ball, a suave badass with a killer sense of humor who can take on Bullseye and actually win.
- Foe Yay: Psyko's attitude towards Sleepwalker is suffused with this trope, as is Psyko's attitude towards just about anyone else he interacts with. It caused no small amount of Fridge Horror on the author's part when he re-read some of his old issues.
- Genius Bonus: The author has an insane head for trivia, and liberally sprinkles the series with references to everything from 19th-century Russian chemistry to American political extremism to English literature.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: Aside from the expected American and Canadian fandom, some of the series' biggest fans hail from Sweden and the Phillippines.
- Growing the Beard: It took several issues for this series to really find its voice, not to mention ironing out problems with the writing style. Jared considers the first Annual to be the point when things really come together.
- Iron Woobie: Sleepwalker himself, of course.
- Nightmare Fuel: Psyko creates this by having it as his power. Anyone who's hit by Psyko's madness beams becomes forced to relive their worst nightmares over and over again, even as the monster begins to control their bodies.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: Most of the Mindscape spawned villains. Psyko owns the station.
- Rescued from the Scrappy Heap: The vast majority of the cast is C-List at best in canon. Here, characters who fandom at large either ignore or deride, have a chance to shine. This could describe much of the author's work.