- Awesome Music / What Could Have Been: The music of Ultima X was sumptuous.
- Genius Bonus: The Eight Virtues are the complete power set of the Three Principles.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: This series wasn't merely Big In Japan, it sparked the entire Eastern RPG subgenre there.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Lord British's name.
- Even earlier than that.
- Original Ultima required you to become so wealthy you could just buy a spaceship. Fast-forward a few decades and Richard Gariott is so wealthy that he is buying a trip onto a space station for funsies.
- Seinfeld Is Unfunny: Yahtzee once described the series as "needlessly obtuse." He wasn't wrong, but there wasn't exactly much competition for a long, long time.
- Sequelitis: Whether the series started going downhill from Serpent Isle or Pagan is up to personal opinion, but there's no denying that the series ended at a low point.