For the 1986 film:
For the series:
- Creator's Pet: Jo is seemingly emerging as this, to the point that Danny and Lacey are more worried about her than themselves because of the diffusion through the whole school of a private tape in which they (Danny and Lacey) are shown making out.
- Fan-Preferred Couple: Danny and Lacey have been this even before the show started airing.
- Tess/Karen is quickly starting to become this as well.
- Ho Yay:
- Mitch/Samuel, canonically as of Episode 9.
- Charlie/Danny. They seem pretty close for having been prisoners together.
- Les Yay:
- This vibe totally drips off the screen every time Tess and Karen are in the same room together. And in "Danny Indemnity" the way they act toward each other is like a bad break-up, complete with the casserole-tossing.
- A bit of this vibe between Lacey and Whitney. As it turns out, Whitney and Lacey both are a bit more Bi the Way, and this turns out to cause problems later.
- Moral Event Horizon: Sarita's was probably in episode 3, when she displayed humiliating footage of Jo at the school assembly for all to see, just because Jo took over her role in the anti-alcoholism play. (A role she was barely interested in, for that matter).
- Nightmare Fuel: Those creepy people with Danny Desai masks.
- The Woobie: Karen. She has to deal with the entire town hating her and her son, and everything she does to try to help Danny ends up backfiring or getting Danny angry at her.
- Jo can be this quite frequently too, especially in episode 3 when Sarita humiliates her in front of the whole school.
- With the latest episodes, Lacey.
- and now Danny.
- What an Idiot: Danny violating the conditions of his bail (and probably parole) by leaving Green Grove with his ankle bracelet on.