* BigLippedAlligatorMoment: The introduction of Keroyon, where the rest of the group screams at his appearance, followed by a full-page spread of a man with a frog's head. Then he turns out to just be an ugly guy.
* CrazyAwesome: [[spoiler:Kenji]], after the second time skip.
* CompleteMonster: Both versions of [[BigBad Friend]] were absolute monsters of a different variety.
** The first Friend ([[spoiler:Fukubei Hattori]]), after growing up ignored by his classmates, with their attention often focused on [[TheHero Kenji Endou]], developed a [[AttentionWhore craving for attention]], and a [[DisproportionateRetribution disproportionate hatred for Kenji]]. Already [[KidsAreCruel wicked as a child]], he psychologically abused his so-called "best friends," regularly tried to terrify people with his tricks, and ruined the childhood of one of his classmates, [[StartOfDarkness who would later become the second Friend]] thanks in part to the first Friend's cruelty. Forming the "[[{{Cult}} Friendship Party]]" as an adult, this Friend began developing a virus that painfully killed anyone it infected, all while silencing anyone who got his way. Unleashing the virus, he [[FrameUp framed Kenji and his group]] for the ensuing 150,000 deaths, took over much of the world as a "hero," and ruled it with an iron fist, sending people to [[MindRape reeducation camps]] for even minor crimes. His [[AGodAmI master plan]] is then revealed: Use a new virus to wipe out 99% of the human race, then rule over the remaining 1% of "true believers." Sociopathic, egomanical, and petty, the first Friend set the bar for wickedness in this manga.
** The Second Friend ([[spoiler:Katsumata]]) [[FreudianExcuse grew up unliked and bullied]], in particular by the aforementioned first Friend, and this resulted in a hatred for all humanity. Taking over after the previous Friend's death, he destroys much of human civilization with a new virus and rules what's left even harsher than the previous Friend, spreading tales of "aliens" invading to keep innocents terrified in the process. To further cause chaos, this Friend regularly sends out small doses of vaccines to groups of potential rebels, knowing they will tear themselves apart trying to acquire the antidote. Revealing he plans to [[OmnicidalManiac destroy all of humanity with an incurable virus]], this Friend tries to [[ForcedToWatch make Kenji watch]] as he kills Kenji’s niece, Kanna (Kanna’s mother is Kenji’s sister, while her father is [[spoiler:the first Friend]]), as revenge for a transgression Kenji committed against him as a child, and, when finally defeated, it is revealed he left an Anti-Proton bomb to be detonated by his followers, which will destroy the entire world when activated. Though having the aforementioned FreudianExcuse, the second Friend was ultimately a [[PsychopathicManchild psychopathic]] [[MisanthropeSupreme misanthrope]] whose attempted revenge on humankind was DisproportionateRetribution taken to its highest degree.
* CrowningMusicOfAwesome: Kenji's song, Bob Lennon. It's a rare in and out of universe example, as a recorded version was released with the volume it was introduced in. Urasawa Naoki can sing, apparently.
** [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xdY10RhB0s#t=4m19s GUUUUTALAAAALA SUUUUUDALALAAAAAA!]]
* EarWorm: Kenji's song, Bob Lennon. As mentioned above, it's a rare in and out of universe example, as it plays a very important role in the plot as the story goes on, [[spoiler:especially the 'Gutalala Sudalala' version, which even the characters comment on as being an ear worm]] and since it was released in real life it can end up being stuck in your head very quickly.
* ItWasHisSled [[spoiler:There are two Friends, and the story goes ''way'' past the twentieth century.]] Surprisingly, Friend's identity is a well kept secret.
* HilariousInHindsight: In one flashback young Kenji and Yukiji argue who makes better sounds - [[Anime/{{Gigantor}} Tetsujin 28]] or Manga/GiantRobo. In 2004, so very soon after that scene, new adaptation of Tetsujin was released. In which Tetsujin makes ''the exact same sound'' as Giant Robo.
* MagnificentBastard: Friend
* NightmareRetardant: A mob of insane cultists swarming Kenji's shop to kidnap Kanna: Terrifying. A mob of insane cultists swarming Kenji's shop to kidnap Kanna while chanting "[[Music/DestinysChild DESTINY'S CHILD]]": a little goofier for English-speaking audiences.
* ParanoiaFuel: This series is the ''United Arab Emirates'' of Paranoia Fuel.