Tropers Online: 2,925
[ Login for more options ]
|These are what we call the 'YMMV items.' Things that some people find in this work. We call them 'your mileage might vary' because not everyone sees these things in the same way. This starts discussions in the trope lists, a thing we don't want. Please use the discussion page if you'd like to discuss any of these items.|
YMMV: Treasure Island
- Alas, Poor Scrappy: Averted with Mr. Arrow. Long John Silver kills him... and he's missed by no-one. Well, Long John claims he killed him; there's a reason everyone immediately assumes he wandered off the side in a drunken stupor.
- In the Sky 1 adaptation, he is keel-hauled after striking Squire Trelawney in a drunken rage. His death is mourned by Jim, which proves to be important; hiding inside a barrel of apples, Jim overhears Long John Silver conspiring with the crew.
- It Was His Sled: Long John Silver is a pirate.
- Magnificent Bastard: Long John.
- Memetic Mutation: In a meta-level sense, the portrayal of pirates in Treasure Island has leaked into popular culture, such that even Space and Sky Pirates tend to emulate some of the piratical behaviours as portrayed in this story.