- Consolation Award: Many thought Denzel Washington won Best Actor to compensate many lauded but not awarded performances that preceded. Specially for a fierce competitor that year (and ironically both actors faced off against each other in Virtuosity).
- Esoteric Happy Ending: Jake survives the day's events on his first day as a narcotics officer, with Alonzo now dead. However, he has to give a report on how his supervisor was killed, and provide evidence of his criminal actions...to the Three Wise Men, the very same corrupt high-ranking police officials gave Alonzo carte blance to do as he pleased.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: In this movie directed by Antoine Fuqua, Denzel Washington's character is in debt with the Russian mafia. Come 2014, Fuqua directs The Equalizer, with Washington playing the main character who fights the Russian mafia!
- Magnificent Bastard: Alonzo, naturally, particularly with respect to Roger.
- Memetic Mutation:
- Moral Event Horizon: Alonzo himself crosses this when he kills Roger, just so that he can take the money that the latter has. And if that wasn't enough, he also leaves Jake to be killed by Smiley and his gang.
- Narm Charm:
- A man screaming "King Kong ain't got shit on me!" should make you laugh your ass off. Instead, it is one of the most dramatic moments of the film.
- When Alonzo yells: "I'M SURGICAL WITH THIS BITCH, JAKE!"
- Retroactive Recognition:
- Terry Crews plays an unnamed gangbanger.
- Tuco got his shit... pushed in, bro! Big time!
- Evil Is Sexy: Artemis, the female sicario working for Los Muertos.
- The Woobie: Both Frank and Kyle, due to Bill's death.