- Alternative Character Interpretation: All over the place. Some are very common amongst the general fandom, such as Flandre's isolation-driven madness, Mokou's immortality-driven madness, Rumia being a Sealed Evil in a Can, Eirin and Kaguya being long-time lovers, and Sakuya being a Lunarian, but some are entirely unexpected, such as Suika being an exile and Yukari being suicidal.
- Crowning Moment Of Awesome: Among a few others, Reimu stabbing Remilia in the heart with her broken Gohei.
- Patchouli's secret weapon against the Kashoyo? Metal sign: Assault Rifle!
- Eirin and Kaguya's suicide rush on the Kashoyo attacking Eientei, and subsequent recovery.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: Marisa is chock full of them.
- "MARISA’S THE MIGHTY’S BIG BOOK OF AMAZING GREATNESS".
- "Only Marisa can prevent forest fires." ...What does that even mean?
- "Now, because it's mees doin magics, probably'll explode a lots. Let's move away from the ghost girl's houses."
- Crowning Momentof Heartwarming: Sakuya has several while she learns about the Power of Friendship.
- Patchouli gets one as well, after coming to the realization that she's kind of a jerk to Koakuma.
- Eirin helping Reisen through her depression with hugs and lullabies.
- Les Yay: Reimu, Marisa, Sakuya and Youmu all end up experiencing or witnessing various levels of undress with others, but only Marisa has made a passing joke about Reimu being in love with her; generally, these girls are hetereosexually squicked out. Then again, it's Touhou; there isn't much alternative. Also, Kaguya and Eirin are canonically in love, and a non-canon sidestory has Reimu and Sakuya having sex.
- Moe: Koakuma. Oh so very much.
- Nightmare Fuel:
- The Kashoyo. Zombie fairies (and not the cherub kind) who can survive being torn limb from limb, even going as far as reforming into regular zombies. All while smelling horrible and making a ghastly chittering noise.
- Flandre, in her first appearance.
- Purity Sue: The author is an open Yuyuko fanboy. Let's just say it shows.
- Squick: Reimu's initial reaction to finding giant naked and anatomically correct statues of Sakuya and Flandre in Remilia's mind, until she realizes that there's nothing sexual intended by it. Also, everyone's reaction to the Kashoyo.
- A far more serious example, the room where Sakuya prepares Flandre's meals.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: Reimu gets all of Yuyuko's powers! ....And doesn't really do much with them.
- The Woobie: Most characters become this at one point or another, but for the classic version, Koakuma best fits.