YMMV: Tommy Boy
- Critical Dissonance: This movie made Roger Ebert's "Most Hated Films" list, but it was a box-office hit that also sold well on home video.
- Crosses the Line Twice: Richard taking the passengers on a plane through the standard flight attendant stuff includes mentioning that there's a better chance of them hitting a mountain than a lake.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: Michelle's shouted threat at the cruel children at the lake.
Michelle: Listen up, you little spazoids! I know where you live and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will cry when they see what I've done to you.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: Tommy's plans of impersonating flight attendants and pretending to be a suicide bomber are a lot less amusing in a post-9/11 world.
- Memetic Mutation:
- "Fat guy in a little coat!"
- "Holy schnikes!". The special edition DVD was even called the "Holy Schnike edition".
- "Look, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I've got spare time."
- And "She was kissing him." "So?" "With his tongue." "Ew! He's doing his mommy?" "She's not his mom; they're married!"
- Tear Jerker: Tom's death, and Tommy's reaction. Say what you want about Chris Farley, but the expression of loneliness he conveyed afterward was quite heartbreaking.
- An in-universe example: The Carpenters' song "Superstar" causes Tommy and Richard to sing along with it while sobbing (after each one of them initially pretends to think the song is lame).
- Vindicated by History: The film was slammed by critics upon release, but these days it's remembered fondly as a classic buddy comedy film that showcases the great comedic chemistry between Chris Farley and David Spade.
- What an Idiot: R.T., the Callahan Auto receiving specialist who's extremely rude and bullying to Tommy even though Tommy is in line to replace the owner and president of the company, and could fire his ass in a heartbeat. Lucky for him that Tommy's the forgiving sort, and got his revenge ahead of time by losing his virginity to R.T.'s daughter.
- The Woobie: Tommy following Big Tom's death.
- Jerkass Woobie: Richard.