- Fridge Horror: The show's title could be used as a metaphor for the aortic aneurysm that killed Jonathan Larson at age 35.
- Retroactive Recognition: Watching Raul Esparza in one of his first major theatre roles is surprising to people who aren't aware of his musical background.
- Tear Jerker: "Why". If you aren't crying from the beginning, when Jonathan finds out Michael has AIDS, you'll be crying by the end of the song.
- Jonathan finally playing "Happy Birthday" at the end.
- Most of the show, when viewed through the lens of Jonathan Larson's Author Existence Failure.
"I want to write music. I want to sit down right now, at my piano, and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning for the rest of my life." And he did.