YMMV: Thomas Pynchon
- Embarrassing Middle Name: Ruggles.
- Epileptic Trees: It was once rumored that Pynchon and fellow reclusive author J. D. Salinger were the same person; the rumor is less popular now that the latter has passed away.
- Genius Bonus/Viewers Are Geniuses: One or the other, depending on the work; whichever it is, he's probably the king of the trope in question.
- Memetic Mutation: The Trystero sign from Lot 49, as well as the fun he has with acronyms:
We Await Silent Trystero's Empire
Don't Ever Antagonize The Horn
- Paranoia Fuel: Hoo boy.
- Squick: Often used symbolically, no less!
- True Art Is Incomprehensible
- What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs?: Justified...it admittedly usually was.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?