YMMV: They Shook Hands
- Better Than Canon: What some of its fans claim it to be.
- Ron the Death Eater. The changes in characters aren't immediate.
- With both Harry being a Slytherin and Ron not meeting him on the train, Ron is set up as a major antagonist to Harry and his friends. Ron looks down on Slytherin, just as he does in canon. He's not evil (yet?) but he is a more extreme version of the canon character.
- Hagrid is portrayed as an alcoholic rather than someone who has a drink occasionally. The author uses the same incidents of his drinking as are present in the canon, but they are viewed negatively by Harry's friends and thus by Harry.
- Too Cool to Live: In Y2, Hermione, previously relegated to obscurity in Hufflepuff, once again attempts to brew Polyjuice Potion to infiltrate Slytherin. She is killed by the basilisk. The author has stated that he didn't have a subplot to deal with her and wanted to honor her by demonstrating her work ethic and determination (widely regarded as defining traits of Hufflepuff).