YMMV: They Bleed Pixels
- Goddamned Bats: The floating squids.
- Gratuitous Oriental Motifs: There are a lot of oriental motifs found in the dreams, even though the game's setting does not appear to have anything at all whatsoever to do with Japan or China, or any other oriental place. The Paper Lanterns hanging off of the trees in 2-3, the Japanese Shrines in 3-3, and the Chinese Serpent Dragon Mouth you start 4-1 in are all examples of the developers seemingly adding oriental stuff in a game 'just because' even though there doesn't appear to be any lore reason as to why they'd be there. One could make an argument about the girl herself, but she does not appear to have any sort of oriental features about her, either.
- Scrappy Mechanic: The ice patches, which causes your character to slide to an almost ridiculous level.
- Expanding on the ice patches, you literally cannot stand still on them. If you are on an ice patch, you're at the very least inching forward or backwards. In addition, the way you accelerate on them is non-intuitive. This is especially noticeable when you try to use your dash attack, where you may not move at all, or, on the other hand, you may fly into oblivion. Finally, they do not count as solid ground or walls. You can neither wall jump off ice patches or set up a checkpoint on them.
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Plot: Wouldn't it have been cool if at the end of the last level, after you smash the heart up (which kills the Headmaster), you had to do one more level. This level would have been perfect for the game's only boss! Said boss would have been the soul of the Book of Claws itself, manifested in a Mirror Boss form, a creature that looks and acts a lot like the protagonist, has similar attacks, and takes quite a few hits to kill and tests your ability to move, strike fast, and get out of the way of its attacks. It would have also explained the ending cutscenes a bit better as to how you suddenly go from being fully mutated to being fully cured by morning.
- The implication, I believe, was that the girl already killed the Headmaster before the level, and the heart you destroy belongs to the Book of Claws.