YMMV: The Vow
The Fan Fic
- Jerkass Has a Point: Lord Chang's explanation to his obsession in building a dynasty — even at the cost of his daughter's happiness — has a merit of truth in it.
Chang: I have seen good men build themselves up from nothing, create for themselves a name and a place in the world. And I have seen how many noble families have been born to thrones yet die in the dirt. I knew that I never wanted that to happen to my family, I don't want us to be cast away, to lose everything we have and to end up cold and alone and miserable in squalor. [...] One can never be too careful. Emperors are fickle things, one moment wise, another benevolent, or cruel, or simply trying to escape the tediousness of their lives. It is all too easy to fall from grace.
- Jerkass Woobie: Shen, just like in canon.
- Whatever you may think of Lord Chang, you have to pity him slightly, for he also seems sad at his wife's death.
- The Woobie: Lord Goa and Lady Jing after being forced to drive away their only child.
- Lianne herself verges into Iron Woobie territory.