- Crowning Music of Awesome: The author has made in her YouTube profile of Alicia Donovan several videos concerning the fanfic. The songs used in them are chosen well to reflect on Shen and Lianne's strained love. Two of these examples are "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" by CÚline Dion and "I Know Those Eyes/This Man Is Dead" from Wildhorn and Murphy's musical version of The Count of Monte Cristo.
- Jerkass Woobie:
- Shen, just like in canon, though the woobie part may have been increased with his point of view getting more attention. The woobie part is particularly accentuated during his Villainous B.S.O.D. and the inner struggles he undergoes after he cheats death at the cost of becoming a cripple.
- Whatever you may think of Lord Chang, you have to pity him slightly, for he also seems sad about his wife's death. At one point it's hinted that he was hurt by Lianne saying that he's no longer her father, but he's unable to break the cycle they have stuck into. His confessions to Lianne in his deathbed significantly lessen the jerkass part and increase the woobie part.
- Nausea Fuel:
- The sadistic execution style used by Shen on Haun.
- Shen hurting himself while trying to practice with his still recently crippled body.
- The Woobie:
- Adaptation Distillation: The movie is Based On True Events somewhat, but completely ignores the biggest factor that brought the real life versions of Leo and Paige back together - their strong Christian faith. Many conservatives and evangelicals were understandably miffed that this central tenet of the couple's relationship was replaced by a more secular interest in art.