The Fan Fic
- Crowning Music of Awesome: The author has made in her YouTube profile of Alicia Donovan several videos concerning the fanfic. The songs used in them are chosen well to reflect on Shen and Lianne's strained love. Two of these examples are "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" by Céline Dion and "I Know Those Eyes/This Man Is Dead" from Wildhorn and Murphy's musical version of The Count of Monte Cristo.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Lord Chang's explanation to his obsession in building a dynasty — even at the cost of his daughter's happiness — has a merit of truth in it.
Chang: I have seen good men build themselves up from nothing, create for themselves a name and a place in the world. And I have seen how many noble families have been born to thrones yet die in the dirt. I knew that I never wanted that to happen to my family, I don't want us to be cast away, to lose everything we have and to end up cold and alone and miserable in squalor. [...] One can never be too careful. Emperors are fickle things, one moment wise, another benevolent, or cruel, or simply trying to escape the tediousness of their lives. It is all too easy to fall from grace.
- Jerkass Woobie:
- Shen, just like in canon, though the woobie part may have been increased with his point of view getting more attention. The woobie part is particularly accentuated during his Villainous B.S.O.D. and the inner struggles he undergoes after he cheats death at the cost of becoming a cripple.
- Whatever you may think of Lord Chang, you have to pity him slightly, for he also seems sad about his wife's death. At one point it's hinted that he was hurt by Lianne saying that he's no longer her father, but he's unable to break the cycle they have stuck into. His confessions to Lianne in his deathbed significantly lessen the jerkass part and increase the woobie part.
- Nausea Fuel:
- The sadistic execution style used by Shen on Haun.
- Shen hurting himself while trying to practice with his still recently crippled body.
- The Woobie: