YMMV: The Vow
The Fan Fic
- Crowning Music of Awesome: The author has made in her YouTube profile of Alicia Donovan several videos concerning the fanfic. The songs used in them are chosen well to reflect on Shen and Lianne's strained love. Two of these examples are "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" by Céline Dion (until it was deleted) and "I Know Those Eyes/This Man Is Dead" from Wildhorn and Murphy's musical version of The Count of Monte Cristo.
- Jerkass Has a Point: Lord Chang's explanation to his obsession in building a dynasty — even at the cost of his daughter's happiness — has a merit of truth in it.
Chang: I have seen good men build themselves up from nothing, create for themselves a name and a place in the world. And I have seen how many noble families have been born to thrones yet die in the dirt. I knew that I never wanted that to happen to my family, I don't want us to be cast away, to lose everything we have and to end up cold and alone and miserable in squalor. [...] One can never be too careful. Emperors are fickle things, one moment wise, another benevolent, or cruel, or simply trying to escape the tediousness of their lives. It is all too easy to fall from grace.
- Jerkass Woobie: Shen, just like in canon.
- Whatever you may think of Lord Chang, you have to pity him slightly, for he also seems sad at his wife's death. At one point it's hinted that he was hurt by Lianne saying that he's no longer her father, but he's unable to break the cycle they have stuck into.
- The Woobie: Lord Goa and Lady Jing after they're forced to drive away their only child and die out of grief.
- Lianne herself verges into Iron Woobie territory.