- Mary Sue: Marcy Park is this. Much to her chagrin.
- One-Scene Wonder: Jesus shows up in one scene to impart wisdom to Marcy.
- Toy Ship: William and Olive
- What Do You Mean, It's Not for Kids?: Any number of school productions don't seem to grasp that, if they need to Bowdlerize an entire musical number, they may have picked the wrong play.
Doug Panch: Hearing the immense size of the 'capybara,' Richard Gere said "Sign me up."
- Often schools will cut out Logainne's two dads and instead make her adopted by a straight couple
- Some productions perform an "Adult Night" version of the show, featuring jokes aimed at a much older audience. Many of the spellers' sentences, for example:
- Characters even make racist comments at Marcy's expense.