YMMV: The Thin Man
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: Nightmare Fetishist Gilbert Wynant asks Nick Charles about various criminal and insane behaviors, like cannibalism. Nick points Gil to the story of Alferd Packer — and Hammett inserts an in-story reference article on Packer that runs roughly six pages (in a mass-market paperback edition). It's never brought up again.
- I Am Not Shazam: Nick Charles is not the Thin Man. However, some of the later sequels' titles gave in and used it like he was.
- Retroactive Recognition: Jimmy Stewart in After
- Shadow was Donna Reed's second film.
- Values Dissonance: To a modern eye Nick comes off as a hopeless alcoholic.
- Though he actually quits drinking by movie five. Sobriety doesn't change his behavior very much.
- There's about as much joking about threatened spousal abuse as The Honeymooners. Plus, in the first film Nick actually does hit Nora in the face (to get her out of the way of a bullet, but still).