YMMV: The Tale of Despereaux
- Decon-Recon Switch: At several points in the book, the author points out how ridiculous love is, how contradictory forgiveness seems, and how foolish courage appears to be, but she always turns right around and says that even so, they are powerful forces and often even necessary to the world. Indeed, these three ideals are what end up saving the day in the end.
- Tear Jerker: You will cry. You will cry a lot.
- Ugly Cute: Miggery is intended to be pig-like, but when you realize what a sweet person she is, and that she does all of her bad deeds because she's so lonely, you can't help but find her adorable.
- The Woobie: Despereaux and Mig both qualify.
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: Bolba the MAN MADE OF FRUIT? Although it's not technically a moment, he could be a BLAM character. WTH?
- Judging from the way he appears, Bolba could well be a ghost whose particular gimmick involves "possessing" food.
- Uncanny Valley: Princess Pea. Her body is the same proportion as the other humans, yet her head is about twice as large with a forehead that could hold a heliport.