- Anvilicious: Like most of Larry Cohen's films, there's some sort of social commentary. Here, it's about consumerism and possibly also cocaine ( the Stuff is an addictive white substance that causes you to lose weight and gain energy—in the middle of the 1980s, no less).
- Ear Worm: The jingle.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Chocolate Chip Charlie doesn't get much screentime, but what he does get is nothing short of amazing.
- Narm: Numerous examples.
- The man trying to placate his Stuff controlled dog was especially good.
- Paranoia Fuel: Your ice cream or yogurt may look suspicious after this...
- Special Effects Failure: Constant and spectacular.
- So Bad, It's Good: The hokey special effects and sometimes stunningly bizarre dialog are most of the reason to see this.