- Canon Defilement: Aside from the obvious Alternate Character Interpretation going on for just about anyone, the actual fanfictions tend to get a lot of the technical facts from the books wrong(such as the length of time between the forming of the Riders and the Fall), and in some cases flatly changes them.(Such as the name, color, and gender of Eragon I's dragon.)
- Complete Monster: Taranis, who regards dragons as nothing more than weapons, enslaves Silarae with psychic torture, uses her as leverage to ensure Ravana's good behavior, feeds them condemned criminals, executes enemies who surrender, and eventually holds their last remaining egg hostage.
- Creator's Pet: Kaelyn, who could very well be Opifex's Self Insert.
- Heartwarming Moments: Galbatorix's reunion with the Forsworn after yet another brush with death. And if that weren't enough, we get Laela's rebirth just after that!
- Magnificent Bastard: Even in this series, Galbatorix can't be nice to everyone all the time, but he's always awesome.
- Moment Of Awesome: Ravana's return in Black Dragons.
- Like You Would Really Do It: Galbatorix has several close brushes with death during From White To Black most notably late in chapter fifty-six. But then you remember that it's a prequel story...
- Moral Event Horizon: Vrael crosses spectacularly when he suffocates a baby just because it's of Mixed Ancestry. Where the Riders as a whole stand on the moral event horizon becomes clear when their long history of genocide is revealed (and again when it's demonstrated during the dark elf incident.)
- Rooting for the Empire: Goes without saying.
- What an Idiot: You seriously begin to suspect after a while that the Rider Elders wanted to be beaten by Galbatorix.
- Take That, Scrappy!: Kaelyn gets a few later in From White to Black, mostly from Morzan.
- Tear Jerker: Einas' death. Vander's death, which even made the author tear up while writing it.