YMMV: The State
- Acceptable Ethnic Targets: Played with in "The Jew, the Italian, and the Redhead Gay".
- Also "Monkeys Do It" and its sequel, for Italians.
- Crosses the Line Twice: "Monkey Torture" is only the most obvious example.
- Face of the Band: Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter had a talent for stealing the limelight, and one or the other was usually the main speaker in the fourth-wall-breaking "Hi, we're The State" skits.
- Harsher in Hindsight: Episodes of the series started with a parody of the late-70s/early-80s "CBS Special Presentation" intro. Guess what happened when they actually moved to CBS...
- Hilarious in Hindsight: The Bacon Sketch; funny at the time, but now that people are putting bacon in EVERYTHING, it's this.
- No Such Thing as Bad Publicity: As this promo shows, the group took their harsher bad reviews (including the infamous Negative Two Stars review) and put quotes over footage of the group pretending to be depressed. The promo even ends with "...more miserable crap...".