YMMV: The Simpsons S 4 E 17 Last Exit To Springfield
- Franchise Original Sin and Seinfeld Is Unfunny: Much like "Marge vs. The Monorail," this episode, when viewed these days, has all the hallmarks of the much-maligned latter-day episodes (pointless celebrity cameo, Homer being cartoonishly stupid, repeated jokes added to pad out the show, and the Family Guy-esque Imagine Spots) and doubts will be raised on why it's considered "a masterpiece."
- Harsher in Hindsight: O.J. Simpson was offered a cameo role in Kent Brockman's news panel, but declined and was replaced by Dr. Joyce Brothers (whose only line was, "I brought my own mike!") Given the infamous O.J. trial that would happen years later, the writers actually were thankful O.J. was never brought in as a guest star, so on the one hand, the trope was averted because O.J. never appeared on the show, but on the other hand, hearing the information and wondering What Could Have Been will leave a bad taste of Fridge Horror in one's mouth.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: McBain's line "Ice to see you" as he bursts out of an ice sculpture — though given that the line and the idea of an Arnold Schwarzenegger-esque action star being encased in ice and making horrible ice/cold puns would become a reality in a notoriously awful action movie, the scene from The Simpsons will come off as a "Funny Aneurysm" Moment.
- The scene where Burns gets replacement worker robots that turn against humanity is more hilarious now that they made a full episode on it (season 23's "Them, Robot").
- Magnum Opus: Often considered among the series' greatest episodes, although this may be contested (see above).
- Memetic Mutation: "Dental plan! Lisa needs braces." Repeat ad nauseum. Also usable as a call and response in live chats.