YMMV: The Simpsons S 2 E 1 Bart Gets An F
- Angst? What Angst?: Later episodes that focus on Bart having to repeat the fourth grade wouldn't have him react as desperate as he did here.
- Family-Unfriendly Aesop: Even if you try your hardest, you can still fail.
- Grown the Beard: Widely considered to be the episode in which the show really gained it's own voice, specifically its ability to tell a story which was both funny and emotional.
- Harsher in Hindsight: Despite Bart earning his happy ending and actually passing his history test, later episodes would still have him in the fourth grade, making this whole episode a complete waste.
- Memetic Mutation: The infamous scene of Bart crying over his F seems to be showing up quite a bit on Tumblr...
- She Really Can Act: Who knew Nancy Cartwright could cry so convincingly in Bart's voice?
- Some Anvils Need to Be Dropped: See Family-Unfriendly Aesop above. It would have been easy for Bart to get an "A" after all that hard work, but The Simpsons at the time was all about shattering and subverting clichés found in a lot of sitcoms and non-comedic TV shows and often using the Reality Ensues trope as much as possible, so showing Bart failing after all that hard work (then getting a "D-" so as to not make the ending too depressing) is actually a nice touch to a worn-out premise.
- Tear Jerker: And how! As you could see from a number of tropes listed on these pages, There's a mighty fine reason why The Simpsons became such a successful show...