The 1988 Book/1992 Film
- Hilarious in Hindsight: Susan Sarandon has a cameo as a saintly onlooker in the execution scene in Habeas Corpus. Three years later, she won an Oscar as a nun in Dead Man Walking, directed by star Tim Robbins.
- The Woobie: Bonnie.
The 2015 Series
- Foe Yay: FBI Special Agent Nolan and Mr. Johnson have it in spades, even from their first meeting.
- Lawful Good: Alex, for a personal reason; he knows from experience that he's actually The Unfettered and would damn himself if he didn't have civilized rules to live by.
- Moral Event Horizon: He regards the abduction and interrogation of Cassandra to have been an unforgivable action on his part, and blames Alex for putting him in the situation where he went along with it.
- Screwed by the Network: Minimal advertising compared to other fall season shows from NBC, and then had its episode order cut to 9 instead of the initial 13. Not officially canceled yet, but definitely screwed by the network.
- Officially canceled. Right after airing the final produced episode. Which ends on a cliffhanger.
- Special Effects Failure: The scenes shot in The House feature some truly abysmal green screen effects. Justified in that they're actually hi-def screens meant to keep anyone from knowing what floor of the building it's in without ruining the aesthetic of a high-stakes casino.