We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
- Broken Base - See the note about Seasonal Rot below.
- Covered Up - "Cecilia Ann" was originally recorded by the Surftones.
- Crowning Music of Awesome - Many, from their more well-known songs ("Here Comes Your Man", "Debaser", "Gouge Away") to their more obscure ones ("Stormy Weather", "All Over the World", etc).
- Crowning Moment Of Funny - "I've Been Tired", which is largely the narrator trolling a prostitute.
- Many of Black Francis' attempts at speaking Spanish.
- The "You Fucking Die!" segment at the end of "Oh My Golly".
- The section in the middle of "Space (I Believe In)", where Francis announces "Now I'm gonna sing the Perry Mason theme!", then proceeds to do just that - rendering the Instrumental Theme Tune of the television show in off-key scatting.
- Ear Worm - "Where Is My Mind?", "Gigantic", "Here Comes Your Man", "Velouria", "Dig for Fire", "Planet of Sound", and so on.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: Kim Deal.
- Face of the Band - Francis and Deal. He admitted to being initially upset at Deal's popularity among fans.
- First Installment Wins: Many fans claim Surfer Rosa as their favorite album. This could partially be explained by "Where Is My Mind" from the album being used in Fight Club.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff - The band was more popular in the UK and Europe during their career than in their native USA (some have snarked that if they were a better looking band they would have conquered the States). Just to illustrate, their albums' peak chart performance in the USA and UK was as follows:
- Surfer Rosa: zilch in the USA, #2 on the UK Indie Chart.
- Doolittle: #98 on the Billboard chart, #8 on the UK Album Chart.
- Bossanova: #70 on the Billboard chart, #3 on the UK Album Chart.
- Trompe le Monde: #92 on the Billboard chart, #7 on the UK Album Chart.
- Their American popularity has skyrocketed since their original breakup as the bands they influenced became popular, as noted below.
- Newbie Boom: A lot of new fans have discovered the band through "Where Is My Mind?" being used in Fight Club.
- Seasonal Rot: Some fans consider Bossanova their weakest album, though it's Black Francis' favorite, and their best performance charts-wise. These are the contingent who prefer the "rawer" Surfer Rosa and Doolittle era, and are annoyed by Bossanova and Trompe le Monde's more polished production.
- Song Association: "Debaser" appears in Skate 3 and Forza Horizon 2.
- Vindicated by History - In the years since their original breakup, Doolittle and Surfer Rosa went gold (with Doolittle closing in on platinum), and their reunion tour had shows selling out in minutes in America, where they were initially not as popular as mentioned above.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?: The passage of "Monkey Gone to Heaven" quoted at the top of the main page.