YMMV: The Piano
- Crowning Music of Awesome: Michael Nyman's amazing musical score, which amazingly failed to earn an Oscar nomination for Best Original Score.
- Nightmare Fuel: Living in a bleak, bland land completely removed from home with a man whose own frustrations and awkwardness are driving him insane with jealousy? Nightmarish.
- She Really Can Act: Anna Paquin gives an amazing and completely complex three-dimensional performance in her film debut as Ada's daughter Flora, which earned her the Best Supporting Actress Oscar. Need we mention she was only 9 when the movie was shot, and only 11 when she won the Oscar?
- And that goes double for Holly Hunter, who gives the performance of her career, with her downright astonishing portrayal of Ada. She equates so much emotion in her expressions, and she doesn't even say a goddamn word throughout the vast majority of the movie. Hunter deservedly won the Best Actress Oscar for her performance. Oh, and did we also mention that she even played her own piano music in the film?
- Iron Woobie: Ada, though the iron part probably comes from her muteness.