- Adaptation Displacement: Loosely based on a picture book by Angus Oblong, Creepy Susie And 13 Other Tragic Tales For Troubled Children, but the show is more well-known at this point.
- Awesome Music: They Might Be Giants did the opening and credits themes. 'Nuff said.
- Crosses the Line Twice/Nightmare Fuel: The show swings between the two all the time. The material is so over the top because otherwise it would be more horrific and depressing than it already is.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Beth and Pickles. The former for being relatively cute, well, by this show's standards anyway. The latter for providing some of the best lines in the show and her status as a former resident of the Hill leaving fans to speculate why she'd give it up. There's surely a story behind it somewhere.
- Ho Yay: Jared & Blaine.
Milo: Everyone says you two have sex with each other.
- Take That, Scrappy!: Scottie grossing out the Debbies by defecating on the Klimers' lawn in "Narcoleptic Scottie".
- Too Good to Last: It's a testament to the show that it remains one of the bleakest, over the top sadistic animated comedies in only 13 episodes.
- Ugly Cute: Beth.