YMMV: The Name of the Rose
- Anvilicious Aesop: Jorge's reason for hiding the book is because it promotes comedy, which might cause monks to disrespect scripture.
- Disowned Adaptation: Umberto Eco didn't care for how the movie reduced the story to "just" a detective story, and subsequently had his publishing contracts amended to ensure that none of his other novels could be filmed until after his death.
- Magnificent Bastard: Jorge, serial killer and Knight Templar extraordinaire-a blind old man who manages to kill a lot of people with poison, traps and a careful use of murderous books
- Purity Sue: The eccentric Ubertino da Casale.
- WTH, Casting Agency?: Sean Connery and Christian Slater play professional celibates.
- According to the movie director, he initially turned down Connery for this exact reason, until Sean Connery forced himself into his office, and demanded to read just one line. And then he accepted.