YMMV: The Master
- Award Snub: Not being nominated for Best Original Screenplay, Cinematography, Director or Picture.
- Its score by Johnny Greenwood was also seen as something in contention for recognition, but was likewise overlooked.
- Critical Dissonance: While the film has been acclaimed by critics (scoring an 86% on both Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic), it has received an extremely polarized reaction from audiences (as evidenced by the 60% and 6.8 scores on their respective sites).
- Darkness-Induced Audience Apathy: To be expected when you have a movie whose protagonists consist of a near-animalistic alcoholic pervert and a charismatic yet megalomaniac deluded cult leader, with the latter's cruel Lady Macbeth-esque wife thrown into the mix.
- Jerkass Woobie: Freddie. The guy is clearly suffering from PTSD and falls in with a bunch of people whose means of "curing him" only make things worse but he is just so repulsive and far gone that even modern psychiatry would likely write him off as a lost cause.
- Tearjerker: When Freddie first talks about Doris and much later, when the Master sings to Freddie.