YMMV: The Killing
The Killing TV series:
- Arc Fatigue: The fact that the show takes two full seasons to identify Rosie's killer really aggravated a lot of viewers, so much so that the ratings dropped sharply for season two and never recovered.
- Ass Pull: Oh so much. Especially once it's revealed who killed Rosie. The actor's performance throughout the show until that point was certainly not what you'd expect from someone who knew they were responsible. Thankfully averted by the reveal of the Pied Piper, which had hints and foreshadowing leading to it, and it cast a significant part of the show into a new light.
- The Chris Carter Effect
- Complete Monster: Curiously, none of the main killers. However, a minor character in the third season, Goldie, is a violent pimp and unrepentant serial rapist of underage girls, who keeps a collection of pornographic videos of homeless teens forced into prostitution. When he catches Bullet searching for Kallie in his building, he holds her at knifepoint, then brutally beats and rapes her. Worst of all he faces no punishment for this, only for his illegal porn videos.
- Growing the Beard: The third season, which focuses on a new case altogether with a new supporting cast, has been significantly better-received than its predecessors.
- Moment of Awesome: "I'm not Stan." Said by Alexi right before assassinating local mob boss Janek Kovarsky. Alexi spent his childhood plotting revenge against Stan for killing his father, but after befriending Stan's lovely daughter Rosie, he decides not to go through with it. Thus, when Alexi finally learns that Kovarsky forced Stan to kill his father, his vengeance is swiftly delivered.
- Moral Event Horizon:
- The Pied Piper ( James Skinner) crossed it when he snapped and raped then murdered a teenage girl. Afterwards, he never looked back and kept doing to to dozens more over a number of years.
- Goldie crosses it when he attacks and rapes Bullet.
- Holder himself felt he crossed this line when he stole from his own kid nephew to pay for his drug addiction.
- Nightmare Fuel
- Rosie was locked in a car trunk while the car was pushed into a lake, and she ripped off a few fingernails trying to get out before she drowned. The shot of her body sitting in the trunk of the car does not help.
- The murders of the Pied Piper in season 3; the victims are raped and then have their throats cut ear to ear with a serrated blade, so deeply several of the victims are almost decapitated.
- Shocking Swerve: A lot of complaints about the first season finale came down to one of these where it was revealed Holder delivered faked evidence that fingered Richmond as the killer. The second season made it clear that Holder wasn't aware it was fake.