YMMV: The Incredible Shrinking Man
- Freud Was Right: Scott is terrorized by a giant cat. And what's slang for a cat and female genitals? Could be seen as women threatening manhood, especially because this is post-WWII/Rosie the Riveter.
- Jerkass Woobie : Scott in the later part of the film. He pretty much admits that he's becoming a jerk the smaller he gets. However, considering what he's going through, it's hard to be but so angry at him.
- Nightmare Fuel:
- Scott's battle with the spider. Even though the film was made on a shoestring budget, the scenes with the spider are very, very creepy and undoubtedly were intended to be scary. It is indeed very scary even over fifty years later.
- The entire beginning of the situation, especially in the original story, is extremely creepy. Imagine losing a 7th of an inch every day. Nothing major at first, but as time goes on you become smaller and smaller, with no way to stop it.
- Visual Effects of Awesome: Even though it was on a shoestring budget, the effects (especially for a film from 1957 and in black and white) are fairly impressive. There's an occasional "scale" problem, but most of the time, it's done very well. In fact, the fight with the spider is done a little too well!