YMMV: The Facts of Life
In the TV series:
- Ear Worm: "You take the good / you take the bad / you take 'em both / and then you have..."
- Ensemble Darkhorse: Nancy McKeon as Jo is one of the most famous examples in TV history. She was an overnight sensation who completely changed the dynamic of the show, helping to make it a viable commodity.
- Foe Yay: A good number of fans see this in Jo and Blair due to the... interesting chemistry that sometimes shows up during their fighting.
- Hollywood Pudgy: Joan Rivers infamously dubbed the cast members "The Fats of Life" following an appearance at the Emmys one year.
- In reality, Lisa Whelchell had gained a bit of weight early in the show, but nothing too out of the ordinary for a teenage girl. Mindy Cohn, on the other hand, was, incidentally, losing weight and had to be hidden under baggy clothes.
- Retroactive Recognition: The guest cast throughout the series is packed with then-unknowns including Helen Hunt, Mayim Bialik, Richard Grieco, David Spade, Seth Green, Jami Gertz, Richard Dean Anderson, Juliette Lewis, Molly Ringwald—oh, yeah, and George freakin' Clooney.
- She Really Can Act: All of the cast had their moments, but when Nancy Mc Keon cranked on the waterworks, the audience followed suit.
- Tear Jerker: Many moments. Jo's were especially tear-worthy.
- The sudden death of Natalie's father went beyond the usual Very Special Episode. Its impact on Natalie spanned a couple of episodes.